Default Hello from Saratoga, NY

In a couple of weeks my daughter and I will be taking a Backyard Beekeeping Workshop where we will each assemble a hive and learn some basics...

Meanwhile I am reading EVERYTHING I can get my hands on. In the two weeks since this "Lucy Idea" of bees in the backyard hit I have been CONVINCED that:

Plastic foundation is the best.
    Plastic foundation is the worst.
    Small cells discourage mite infestation.
    Small cells increase mite infestation.
    Bees need to be fed sugar water.
    Bees should only be fed honey.
    Bees shouldn't be fed at all.
    Each of about five different beehive styles is THE ONE AND ONLY BEST.
    And so on...

Thus I have come to the conclusion that HOWEVER we choose to manage our hives, there will be somebody out there who thinks it is the right way, and somebody who thinks it is absolutely the wrong way.

Being a parent, I am pretty used to this phenomenon...

I think this bee thing might just work out!

Default Re: Hello from Saratoga, NY

Welcome to the site!

There is an old saying, ask 5 beekeepers and you'll get 7 different opinions. It looks like you've already figured that one out.

The best thing to do, would be to find a mentor (or a local beekeepers association, and the mentor will fall in line later). Since you are taking a course, that will work for now. Do whatever your instructor says (small cell, plastic, poly hives, 8 frame, medium only, whatever). Once you get HIS style down, then compare it to others. Change ONE (and only one) variable, and see if it works better for you. Then go from there.

Beekeeping is very individual, what works best for you will not necessarily work best for others or the industry. Keep that in mind, whenever you read someone's opinion.

Lots of great mentors here; RRussell, M Palmer, M Bush, Velbert, Joseph Clements, Deknow, not enough space to name all.

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm BEST BEE SITE GOIN!!(next to Beesource of course!!)

Welcome!
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Welcome Layla! Being a parent you already know there are very few things you have to do - keep them healthy, and be there for them.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

The above advice is good. Get a good mentor that you trust. The first year or two of beekeeping try to listen to the "mainstream" advice and not go too far in "natural" or too far in "commercial" beekeeping. I think a lot of first time beekeepers get overwhelmed by people trying to help or push their way.

For the record my thoughts:
    I saw a hive with 2 frames of drawn comb swarm because they had taken all the wax off the other 18 sheets of plastic. The first year beekeeper couldn't figure out why they wouldn't move into the rest of the hive. I have also seen lots of comb built between the frames because they won't attach it to the plastic. Small cells might be the best thing since sliced bread but do it on your second or third year when you have a little experience. Everything that moves needs food. If the bees can't get it from the environment (nothing blooming, too cold/wet to fly, new package) you need to give it to them. They love sugar and unlike you it is good for them.
    Backyard beekeeping and honey bees.
    www.BlueLineApiary.com

Welcome Layla,

I'm just starting this year myself. Going it alone though, my daughter wouldn't think of keeping bee's.

Nice to see another local person getting started. Where are you taking your workshop?

Keith

Thank all you for the welcome.

Keith, the course is at Hancock Shaker Village. 10am-5pm Saturday, May 7. My daughter is actually scared of bees. I think she is going primarily so that she can spend the day with just me. (Which makes me pretty darn happy, since she is 12 and won't likely want to much longer!)

Hi Layla,

From your posting it seems that you are off to a good start...

Reading, classes, and humor will all be helpful ...

Have fun. When your daughter sees the first "baby" bees emerging she may be hooked for life.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...