Default Swarms as cell builders?

Probably a crazy idea, but thought I would ask. I realize that it takes lots of young bees to properly build quality cells, but often I find that swarms replace the old queen soon after establishment in the new hive long before new brood hatches. Further, I appreciate that they don't produce cells in mass (like needed with a cell builder) when replacing the old queen, but I was curious to see if anyone has tried it before. The idea would be to give the swarm a few days to settle in and get the queen laying then make it queenless and introduce the grafts. Comments?

Default Re: Swarms as cell builders?

I have tried to use swarms 2 times as a cell builder and found that the swarms build lots of comb and connect all the queen cells as a full sheet of comb makinf it almost impossible to remove the queen cells
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Default Re: Swarms as cell builders?

Thanks for the feedback Clinton - makes perfect sense. Probably better off using the swarm for what they do best, which is make new comb.