Default New Beekeeper in Southeastern Massachusetts

Well this might end up long but this is my story. I go to community college and we had a course fair and I was promoting the literary and art journal that I am apart of. I made my way to the organic farming table which included a empty hive and proceeded to chat it up with students that had taken the beekeeping class. So I found out my school not only has a class in the spring but actually has two working hives. So I left that table hooked I wanted bees and to know more info. So yea in 2 weeks I have been reading and researching and figuring out a plan.

My place was a No. So I went out on a limb and posted on c-list, wow I got 10 people saying I could keep bees at their farms or whatever. I met up with one of the repliers at their orchard/farm. They had a guy keeping bees there but he had passed away last year. Since no one was taking care of them they died out at the beginning of this month. The hive was a mess! So they instructed me to call the widower of the guy and see if she had any of her husbands bee stuff and if she would part with any of it. She told me to visit her home and we could talk. She didn't mind the bees around but she was allergic to them and told me since her husbands passing no one has touched anything. I found 6 hives around the property. Two of which where active with bees. She told me I could have everything. She wanted them to be taken care of. So tonight with some help I loaded everything up and brought them to there new home. Some of the hives are in rough shape but I will repair, clean, and paint everything.

I can't wait to get deeper into this fascinating and awesome hobby.

Default Re: New Beekeeper in Southeastern Massachusetts

Nice story. Good luck!

Welcome, did you buy a lottery ticket too?
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks LOL I guess I should have!! But I usually never win anything.

So unfortunately either the 2nd hive I thought was active was either being robbed or they died out in the few days since I seen bees entering and exiting it. The bees were brought over last night and today they were very active bringing in pollen. I attempted to get a peak inside but I dont think they have an inner cover or frames cause there was comb hanging from outer cover. I only lifted one corner and put it down when I seen this. I also cleaned and painted another hive they I would like to change them over too.

Here is the redone hive!!

Welcome to the site! Nice pics.