Thread: Eastern Kansas

Default Eastern Kansas

Thanks for the forum. I have one hive, 9-frame. A second will be started up in mid-May. I intended on flipping my lower brood to the top today. My existing hive is FULL of bees; one brood, one super full of honey. Then the bees stop with one empty super never filled from last year. They don't seem to want to go up to the empty super. They have no room. I have today put an imirie shim on top of the empty super, then the inner cover, then an additional empty super with no frames, just a pail feeder.
    The bees are full of pollen coming in. Dandelions are just finishing. Drone cells were proliferent between the brood and honey-filled super. I believe I saw a swarm cell (lower frame). I could not find the queen. I saw no empty cells in which to lay eggs even tho the second upper super could hold tons (comb not drawn out). Hopefully the imirie shim opening will draw them further up?
    Have I lost my queen? I will look again in 7 days. They looked so stuffed I'm sure I killed some just putting the frames back in. Any opinions? Thanks.

Default Re: Eastern Kansas

What do you mean by a 9 frame hive?
    You queen may have left in a swarm. Hard to tell without seeing it. Definably get them more space!!!!!!!!
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Default Re: Eastern Kansas

Welcome, probably missed something!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com