Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Drone Congregation Areas

Quote Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
    I found this interesting
    Drone Sky Fishing Video on YouTube
    Pretty awesome to see that. I agree it would have been cooler to know a little more about the area and how he came to that place.

Adam

Check this out. It's lengthy, but very informative. I think you will be interested.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...8/#!po=28.9474
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Good find.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Btw, as far as open mated queens go, this would be a great application for finding honeybee diversity in an area around apiaries if one had the know-how. Test your captured bees, plug the results in a diversity index, and there ya go!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Thumbs Up Re: Drone Congregation Areas

Quote Originally Posted by TalonRedding View Post
    Btw, as far as open mated queens go, this would be a great application for finding honeybee diversity in an area around apiaries if one had the know-how. Test your captured bees, plug the results in a diversity index, and there ya go!
    If a person had the time to test your own bee yards...You could send up a smaller version of what the
    gentelman in the video had,,,a smaller balloon with a smaller net..one might be suprised at the presence
    or absence of drones....If you tested every other week, and also timed the drone response time....
    It might give a person a better idea of how far a virgin has to go to get mated,,,,,

I'm very isolated here in northern MN, and I wondered obout the mating thing,,,I had a couple of matings
    for home raised queens last summer and I'm sure the drones had to be from my own yard,,,Next closest
    yard is 7miles or more....

I'm still laughing about the implications of the cigerette butt ,,,better not go there....lolol...
    Excellent video...

==McBee7==

If you subscribe to Netflix, view the new 1 1/2 hr movie/documentary, More Than Honey.
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Mo...trkid=13462100

There is a DCA and queen mating in the movie. The videography is amazing. They go right into the DCA and film the mating very close up.

The mating scene and a glimpse of the DCA are at the end of the movie's trailer at
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2979512&type=2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12