Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Banana honey?

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  sevo3711 
#1 ·
I have noticed that my bees go crazy over the sweet nectar (I assume that it is nectar) that is produced by the flowers on the end of a bunch of bananas. We (my kids included) also suck on the flowers for a sweet treat from time to time.

This is my first season and I hope to be collecting honey. I have a lot of banana plants. My question is: Does anybody know how "banana" honey compares to other types?

Also, will the number of bananas in a bunch increase with the additional pollination now provided by my bees?

#2 ·
Searching the forums for "banana" and "honey" as well as other keywords gives results related to the fact that the alarm pheromone smells like bananas. NOW I wonder: what risk if any will nectar collected from banana plants have on not just honey characteristics, but also hive behavior, etc. I can't find anything on beesource or on the web that talks of bees viz. banana plants.

Any insight from members from the south FL area or other areas where bananas grow would be greatly appreciated.:s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.