Default Yet another used equipment question....

Hello all! This is my very first year beekeeping and I already have my new equipment for two hives coming early next week. My father was doing some work at a farm locally and the gentleman had old equipment which dates to the late 1970's. The original owner moved from this area to Florida back in the early 1980's and left all of his equipment as far as the new owner could tell. He kept wonderful notes and many bee books (really old!) and journals that date to the early 1970's.

My question is, would this equipment be any good? Some of the frames are completely shot (rotten in places) but the rest is pretty good. The paperwork has been extremely interesting (he gave my father boxes upon boxes of it!). Would you risk using any of this stuff? Anything I can do to make this equipment usable again? Shame to let it all go to waste.

I have pics if that would help. Any info would be appreciated! (I am wanting to show this to my bee mentor but my farm is just so muddy with all of the rain we have had lately. I don't want him to trek over and lose a boot in the mud!)

Default Re: Yet another used equipment question....

When you say equipment are we talking wood or stainless steel or both??

Sorry, all woodenware.

well if the hive bodies and the honey supers are good i would use them..Was they stored inside a barn under a roof?? If so they should be good! Now im not there to visually see what the inside looks like and you dont know if the previous beekeeper had any diseased bees or not so the most i would do is torch the inside of each box and your good to go!

You say you got the old keepers journals? Read the last two years entries to see what kind of chems. he might have been useing ,it would give insight into what if any pest/problems he was dealing with. If all reads well I'd use any in good shape. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com