Default Whats to go in swarm traps?

I have some D Coates nucs that some folks traded in on my nuc boxes when they were getting nucs from me. I do not think they will hold up to my hard use (nobody take it personally its just me) so I decided to turn them into swarm traps.
    So, how many frames would you put in em? I was thinking 2 drawn black combs, 2 foundation frames and a empty frame or just a empty space...does this sound OK?
    Any advice?
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Default Re: Whats to go in swarm traps?

Mike: I am no expert on swarm traps but I will give you my two cents worth. The traps will catch swarms even with no frames or comb, but having them would increase your chances. I would venture to say that if you were to leave the traps for an extended period, long enough for bees to build their own comb,it would be best to have frames to prevent a comb mess later, and with frames and comb you would have a pretty strong nuc.

So I have many of those set out as traps. I added the lemon grass oil to it, but not had any luck yet. I put two frames of foundatin and three foundationless frames. Since this is my first year I do not have access to any old comb to use as bait.
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Well I have about 100 or so frames that a friend gave to me- all old black stuff. With that said, what is the optimal setup?
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

The more old combs the better. Never leave empty space, a large swarm can fill it in days

I agree, the more old frames the better, fill the box up, and use lemongrass oil as well.

Old black combs are perfect. I'm with OD Frank. I wouldn't leave the space. It's just a headache to deal with later... especially if you have old dark brood combs you can put in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

OK, so how about F-F-OB-OB-F?
    MIke
    Like us on Facebook

KA, I bought "Bee Scent" 16OZ, $23.90 AFTER s&h. search it on this forum;

http://www.greatlakesipm.com/

got it fast & can't wait to use it. 1" square ziplocks w/paper towel to hold cpl drops of scent, poke pin holes in & leave in box, ck every other day. Product is almost 10% pheromone, made to draw honeybees to crops.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

I've had a lot of success trapping swarms by using an old hive body with an entrance at around five feet above the ground (on top of a lot of old boxes) and with honey smeared over the old frames. The bees investigate it for a week or two before the swarming season and seem to 'remember' it's there when swarming begins.
    My problem, after a very galling day starting at 11.30 a.m. when two swarms came out, is knowing how to keep them put! I've got most of the swarm into a nuke box with six frames of good foundation and the bees have been fanning madly at the entrance. I walk away and an hour later they have all left the box and moved back to the tree. I've done this TWICE now and just waiting at the moment to see if the third attempt has worked.
    The swarm is a fairly small one, probably a cast, and probably no great tragedy if I lose it. But I wondered what others find is the best way to keep a swarm in place once you get them into the box or hive.
    This is a swarm from the same beeyard, I should explain, and I'm trying to hive them 30 or 40 ft from the hive from which they emerged. We had more success earlier with very large prime swarms but then we did have a couple of combs of old honey in the boxes into which we were hiving them.
    Is honey the answer to keeping them in place?

I put a swarm in a deep over a Qn excluder, over a SBB. had I thought of it I would have taken a frame of brood to hold them there. Foragers could leave, but not queen. I still have the colony & it's doing well.
    @ one of our meetings someone said that they put a frame of brood in a box up under the noses of a swarm & they moved right in. I don't think I would leave the brood too long to get chilled.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!