Default Queenless Hive Help

I posted something similar to this in the Queen section as well. Today I went into my hives (I have two) to just put in some beetle blasters. I had noticed that there seems to be almost ZERO brood (with the minor exception of just a few drone cells) in both hives. Only one hive looked like it had two queen cells. Although they were in the middle of the frame. I had gone in the week prior and noticed that the brood seemed to be dwindling and I found what looked like several queen cells (majority already hatched) in both hives. My dilema is that I am leaving to go out of town for two weeks starting tomorrow! I need to know if maybe it is okay to wait and see if they raise their own queen or should I re-queen today?! However, if I re-queen, I don't know where on earth to get a queen at such a short notice as I have just recently moved to Trussville, AL. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Default Re: Queenless Hive Help

I wouldn't do anything yet. There might be a virgin queen in you're hive. If you're old queen was accidentally killed the replacement queen wouldn't start laying until the time the last drones where hatched out. About 30 days from when the queen died. Wait a couple weeks before making a decision.
    Dan

Perfect! You have no idea how relieved I am as I am leaving tomorrow. Thank you for the reply!

But, shouldn't I be worried about the age of the bees in my hive by that time? The ones that have recently hatched since last week should be on to foraging instead of nursing by that time. I don't even have frames full of brood from either hive to compensate.

Don't worry bees are like old women that haven't been around Babbies for a long time, once they are handed the task of watching a baby they become nurse bees again... did that make sense
    Honeydew

If your hive has a virgin queen it will all work out by the time you get back!

go to the alabama beekeepers assoc&it has clubs listed by location....I'm sure someone in that club would be able to help you as far as queens or brood if needed...there are a couple small time queen breeders up there