Default Solar Wax Melter

I'm planning to build a wax melter this weekend and have a question. I have some old combs that have dead brood and some uncapped honey in them. Do I have to wash the honey out before I put the wax in the melter? Or will it separate from the wax in my catch pan so I can wash it then?

Default Re: Solar Wax Melter

I have a similar question. Along with the equipment I purchased this last winter was quite a number of blocks of beeswax. It is moldy green and is this moldy wax still good to use for something?

Lots of different ways to clean wax. Some put the wax in panty hose, slosh it around in a 5 gallon pail of water and put the panty hose (with wax still inside) in the solar melter. They have that melt and drain to another container. Sometimes that container also has water in it. Some put a paper towel or coffee filter just before the last container.

7mm....

My guess is that the mold is only on the outside and that it is the pollen that molded. They say that beeswax doesn't go bad. Try the solar method or boil it in water, etc. Maybe you could scrape the outside stuff off and then just boil that moldy stuff in water. Filter it all though.

Ok, I'll try it. Thanks.

Another thing some people do with the solar melter, is put some metal window screen or similar material on the shelf. That way the large debris gets left on the screen, & the liquid goes to the catch pan. You can also put T-shirt material over the catch pan, to filter the wax.
    Dan

If it is just burr comb, the honey will flow first before the wax melts. I put some water in the container so the honey just mixes with that and isn't stuck to the bottom of my wax. If you have taken the burr comb and compacted in into balls of some kind some of the wax will have to melt before the honey inside will flow.

I don't put a screen or any material in the catch container or the hole at the bottom of the melter. I put the wax that I am melting in the old tee shirt or paint strainer. At least in my latitude and weather, wax will cool in the catch hole or at the container a lot easier and you have a mess.

I got a 4 qt. pot at a yard sale (.50 cents)that I put acouple if inches of water in and then cover the top with an old tee shirt (the darker the better)held in place with cloths pins or rubber bands. Place the wax on it and put the whole thing in one of my trucks and roll up the windows, it gets pretty warm in there. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

I like that idea!

I am selling all of my solar cooked honey to someone who feeds it to his chickens. Claims it makes for sweeter eggs. But, he also claims it has been colder around here because the UN is spraying chemicals to counter Global Warming in the contrails of jets, which he calls chemtrails.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I am selling all of my solar cooked honey to someone who feeds it to his chickens. Claims it makes for sweeter eggs. But, he also claims it has been colder around here because the UN is spraying chemicals to counter Global Warming in the contrails of jets, which he calls chemtrails.
    I met that Guy

He's a Nut cracker not a Beekeeper
    Bee Careful

Is this the same guy who is dancing around the universe in that space ship???

I have been melting and using 30 year old blocks of wax that have lain in a tin shed in the sun getting really hot in the summer and getting really cold every winter. I think the very outside may be deteriorated but after melting it down, it looks and smells like new. I doubt if the mold has hurt it.