Default Requeening question

I am looking to requeen some hives and was hopping to get some opinioins if it is a good way to go.
    I want to introduce new mated, caged queens directly into queen right colonies, without killing the old queen or leaving it queenless for some time. The new queens will be released from the cage in about 1-2days. In your opinion, what is the success rate using this method? Thanks.

In one hive I searched for the queen one day for about one hour, she was nowhere to be found, then found her on the next day.

Default Re: Requeening question

My guesstimation of success rate with the described technique = about zero. You'd probably have a better rate if you just directly released the new queens, but it still wouldn't be very good.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

You would have more luck putting your truck in drive and running in front of it.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Good luck...but even that won't help your new queens. They will be balled and killed either in the cages or out if you don't get rid of the old ones first.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Thats like taking money and throwing it out the window!!!! That pretty much sums it up!!

You need to learn to find and possibly mark your queens. Re queening just to re queen is poor management anyway. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

All I can do is suggest this link in Beesource for different threads [only about 10] about methods used for finding queens when you really have to find them. I can't pick out the best one for you right now. You have to be logged in to see the list of threads. Hope it works: http://www.beesource.com/forums/sear...searchid=40067

"Everyone has trouble finding a queen from time to time...some more than others. When I'm working in my apiary, and having many queens to find, and having beginner helpers that couldn't find a queen if it craweled up their...nose, I had to come up with a way for my help to actually help. Standing around while the "boss" is looking for a queen isn't the answer." > Michael Palmer. >> http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...finding+queens
    Last edited by Oldbee; 04-22-2011 at 01:27 PM.

>I want to introduce new mated, caged queens directly into queen right colonies, without killing the old queen or leaving it queenless for some time. The new queens will be released from the cage in about 1-2days. In your opinion, what is the success rate using this method?

My experience is 0%.

On the other hand putting in 14 day old queen cells is more like 80%

Queen Spotting:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenspotting.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF