Thread: Piping

Default Piping

First year Nooby here.
    I have a hive that was/is queenless. It did have a queen at one time and I noticed around 10 queen cells approx 1 week ago, of which, several were capped.
    My question is:
    Yesterday I was checking the hive and heard piping. I was unable to locate where it was coming from, but it was definately coming from the hive.
    Is it possible for a laying worker to pipe? Or, do I pretty much know i have a new queen in the works because of the piping?
    9/11/01 NEVER Forget! 343

Default Re: Piping

My understanding is that when there are multiple queens in the hive, usually in cells or freshly hatched, they pipe to each other.
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Piping is a call to arms for queens. They will pipe even while still in the cell.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

So, I do have at least a new queen? Virgin, but new.

Thank you all for your insight! It's much appreciated.

Yep, you should have a virgin queen and at least one other most likely dead by now.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Isn't piping the method a newly hatched queen uses to find the others and kill them?

Quote Originally Posted by HEATHERnRye View Post
    Isn't piping the method a newly hatched queen uses to find the others and kill them?
    Yep, And if all the queen cells where on the bottom of the frames it would mean that the hive swarmed if they where in the middle or top it would mean they didn't like the old queen and replaced her but stayed.....
    Last edited by HONEYDEW; 04-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Honeydew

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYDEW View Post
    Yep, And if all the queen cells where on the bottom of the frames it would mean that the hive swarmed if they where in th middle or top it would mean they didn't like the old queen and replaced her but stayed.....
    Mine were all on the top, the queen I had was unknown age, from a cut out I did. She failed quickly and died, but did manage to keep her legacy going by producing enough eggs and offspring to raise another of her daughters to be the next queen.