Default To Cull Old Frames or Not

So I am sure I am going to get alot of different answers here, but I am trying to decide if I should start culling old brood frames or not. I use all deep one piece pierco plastic frames for my brood boxes. Most are only two or three years old and I have not used any chemicals in the hives expet for Apiguard once three years ago in two hives. That is it. Is it really necessary to cull untreated frames or should I just leave them alone. If I do use Apiguard once a year does that change the situation as I am trying to use as few chemicals as possible. So what are your thoughts on culling?

Default Re: To Cull Old Frames or Not

Personally at the most I would scrape the wax off and re-wax em every 4-5 years....
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

It is a good way to reduce chemicals/poison in the hive. With Pierco foundation you can scrape off the comb and put them back. I have scraped several supers and reused them already. I do not recoat them or anything but maybe a good spray with sugar syrup/HBH or feed them for a week or wait for a good flow. The bees don't seem to mind. I don't hear what they are saying after I leave though. They have forgotten by the next visit anyway because they are just as happy!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I setup a 5 year rotation. mark your frame ears with this years queen color only when they go in as foundation. That way you know to rotate them next time that year color comes around.

Don't worry about culling them until they're black as tar and the wax is just plain hard. You've got about 5 more years on those.

I personally cull 2-3 brood frames per year. Studies shown higher disease and chemical levels in comb 2 years and older.

To each his own but that is what I do.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Unless they are not fit to hold brood or honey, because theyt are damaged, keep on using them. Alot of my comb is decades old. Maybe even 50 years old, some of it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston