Thread: Splitting

Default Splitting

Overwintered 2 hives 3 mediums each, running all mediums.Hives came out of winter packed with bees.Added 4th medium to each. My thinking was too give them more room hoping they won't swarm. Checked both hives last week. Queens have moved up laying eggs in 4th medium. My question here is,What is the best way to split these hives without having extra queens.Would rather build the yard than worry about honey right now. I have another yard if I need to move any. Thank you for any recommendations, Ken

Default Re: Splitting

split in half move queen and 2 boxes from each hive to new locations can be as little as 10 feet or ten miles. make sure that the queenless halfs have plenty of eggs to start raising new queens.leave these new hives in there same spots as all the field bees will return to there original location. do you have drones flying in your area yet. i do not have drones flying yet wait until you have drones flying to split

If you want them to raise their own queen I would personally wait until they go into swarm mode and starting populating swarm cells. Then you can make how many ever splits you decide to make. Remember to split before they cap the queen cells but after they pack the cells with royal jelly. You should be fine, just find the queen and put her with a frame or two of brood in a new box, and make 3 or 4 more splits off the rest being very careful not to damage your swarm cells.

If you've got the queen laying in four medium boxes, I'd split now.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have drones flying. In one hive she is laying in all 4 boxes. In the other hive she is laying in the bottom 3 boxes.But bottom 3 boxes on both hives are packed with bees

Split now before they go into swarm preps. Make sure the splits have plenty of eggs/larva to make a queen or buy some cells/queens.