Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Hauling Bees---Best/Cheapest Way

Alpha, I'm still crying, that was great, except I would invest in Clydesdale's!

Jim, at first my reckless son did the same thing, so I mod em with runners inboard of the two outside boards, and either side of the center board. Still leaves plenty of open screen for ventilation. Plus when he has to fix em, he's more careful. You know those Western yards get plenty hot!

Kind regards
    Stonefly7

Any one know what a 4 way pallet with (4) two story 10 frame deeps weighs?? Just an estimate people use when loading trailers etc.??

I never weighed a pallet full of bees and honey but its enough weight I dont dare load more than 3 pallets at a shot with my skid steer.

Totally dependent upon - name your factor here - in most cases. However, we typically ship 408 doubled hives per truckload out of North Dakota, back to their owner in California. Can't queeze much more than 40,000 payload out of most trucks, so about 100 pounds per hive average X 4, or 400 lbs per pallet.

That is of course holding them until LATE October/EARLY November trying to force them to go broodless for mite treatment, and as a rule trying to burn some feed off of them so they don't have to try and find extra trucks to get them all home. First of August... probably closer to 600 lbs per pallet, without the honey stacked up on them.

It's not going to cali that usually is the weight problem...it's coming back when they are loaded with honey and pollen they have to pull pallets off. Course not this year...we been feeding cause they came back so light.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Doubles coming out of North Dakota going to California will as a rule be heavy going back. Honey flow begins to dwindle mid-August and doubles will as a rule start packing the top hivebody down. If they stay until early-November going through the going broodless process to get a clean mite kill, they usually tend to burn up a good deal of that feed.

This year coming out of California I was surprised anything was alive!

Am I the only one that has never had a problem getting bees back from Cali without weight problems? We typically send out doubles averaging about 110 lbs. And have yet to get bees back any heavier than that. Rocky 1: Don't let those drivers bs you, any driver that can't net around 46000 to 47000 lbs either shouldn't be hauling bees or should be doing it for a discount. We usually have a pretty good idea what we have weight wise, our saying is load them up and then start negotiating.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Justin3 and John + any one else that wants to look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40430848@N08/

I think it will work of not do not shoot the messenger.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Justin3 View Post
    Any one know what a 4 way pallet with (4) two story 10 frame deeps weighs?? Just an estimate people use when loading trailers etc.??
    350 to 400 lbs, depending on how much honey they have in them. If your trucker has the right equipment he can tell whether he is overloaded w/out going across a scale. I load 102 such pallets on my Truckers semi and haven't been overloaded yet. I put one pallet of dbls on the deck and then two pallets of dbls on top of that. I can reach it and it is safer than trying to pick up three at a time. I hate it when the top pallet slips back towards me and flips over on top of my cab.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

A Swinger is a very unusual item in these parts, but one of the guys pollinating blue berries has got one. While loading bees out yesterday we took a little time to watch him. I was very impressed at how well it handled the rough terrain of a bb farm. He did seem to work circles around our old bobbi and he was gone with a flatbed load before we got started good. But "Cheap" would not be a word associated with this swinger.

Tracks or wheels?

My daughterr's Boyfriend operates heavy equipment. While visiting last week we got talking about skidsteer loaders. He prefers the ones w/ tracks. The kind where the track is triangular, higher in the back than in the front. He says they don't tare up the ground like a four wheeled skidsteer does.

Do any beekeepers use this kind of set up?

No flat tires.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Tires on the swinger and tires on our bobbi. Doubt the swinger can operate in as tight a places as bobbi, but we sure can tear up some earth.... not too much of a worry in the bb fields.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    tare up the ground like a four wheeled skidsteer does.
    Not when there's a 3rd wheel bolted on the back of the bobcat. Your bobcat becomes a big tricycle. No tore up ground.
    Tracks would be great in the Florida sand. But the teeter-totter effect you get with tracks would be a big negative, especially when hauling tippy pallets of tall stacked supers.

Here ya go:
    http://youtu.be/cxNf-zs_C5A
    I really got a kick out of watching this.

That was great Mike. Thanks for sharing!
    Stonefly7

Loading up inthe middle of the day with bees flying like crazy and then putting on a lumber tarp on top ,what is this?

can you pull a 16ft goosneck with a pickup truck? If so, how large? 1Ton?
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 04-22-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote

I would like to drop a few pallets of hives in that area right after they leave.

We do see guys load in the middle of the day here.. but they leave a few hives for the workers. One guy says he keeps these straggler hives separate as they make his most honey.... never tried it... so can't vouch far it.

[QUOTE=hpm08161947;647056]

One guy says he keeps these straggler hives separate as they make the most honey

Yeah I'll bet they do. Here I have been worrying about the other 95% all this time.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

While there are a few places the bobcat does shine, loading bees I'll take the Swinger or Hummer Bee any day. Far more stable, and with load cushion added to the hydraulics on the mast, there is NO comparison. Hummer Bee is actually a little smoother riding than the Swinger in fact. You simply learn not to put bees in spots so tight you can't get into them. Yes we do have yards that present problems, but you learn to work around them.

On the subject of Black Clydesdales... Most Clydes aren't black, most are bay. Budweiser prefers bay with 4 white socks, odds of selling one to them are about 1 in a thousand.
    Last edited by rocky1; 04-21-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast