Hybrid View

Default Bad Temperment Colony

I have two hives in the same yard (4 hives total) that are getting difficult to work and produce in my opinion above average defensivness. I have ordered a few queens to make up some 5 frame nuc splits from these two colonies. I plan on going through the two hives and after finding the queens eliiminate them. After making up (4) new nucs I will move them to another yard 10 miles away and introduce the new queens the following day in cages allowing the bees to release them. Here is my main question. I do not wish this hostile temperment to be bred back into these now queenless colonies if they are allowed to raise their own queen. If I let them to raise their own new queens by themselves and the virgin queens mate freely at this yard what are the chances that the new offspring of these mated queens will also be ill-tmepered. I am assuming that these virgins would fly freely into drone mating areras (at quite a distance) where many other drones, feral and otherwise would polulate, and not just drones that might pass along their ill tempered traits from the parent hives. As these colonies are large and heavy, I really don't want to move them to another yard to mate out the new virgin queens. I know that I can introduce mated queens to these colonies but what if I allow them to raise their own. Kindly advise.

Default Re: Bad Temperment Colony

I had same issue with one of my hives, the hive replaced the queen once and it got no better. I killed her off and let them raise another but just seemed if it got worse. I finally killed that one and added a queen cell from another hive and much better

>what if I allow them to raise their own.

Most of the time their daughters offspring will be much nicer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had a couple of hives like that, and the queen's offspring were worse. Seems to me that the genetics were continued both thru the daughter, and the queen mother's drones that the daughter mated with. I've had much better success introducing a mated queen without those genetics.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Michael and Steven thanx for the reply. I can hardly wait to break them down to the bottom brood box looking for the queen. It will all work out i'm sure.

These folks that have replied have forgot more about beekeeping than I will ever know, but I think they are missing some points in your post. I agree with the advice and answers they gave you. However, when you install new queens why are you worring about them raising a queen. I'm assuming you intend to let the bees left after your splits raise their own queen. the simple answer is to requeen the hives/bees that are left. I've never had a problem getting acceptance of a new queen after pinching the old queen. No doubt this should cure your problem unless you get some aggressive genetics in your new queen. Also you don't have to move the splits to another yard if you are going to put brood in your nucs. The nurse bees will stay with thye brood and populate the nuc. This is my limited experience, and advice I've gotten from others. Good luck.
    So much to learn, so little time!!