Hybrid View

Default thurnderstorms and mean bees?

We had severe thunderstorms here in central Virginia yesterday. Today is bright and sunny so around 9:30 am I attempted to work my bees. Hive #1 was very agitated and even though I was quite gentle and used lots of smoke, they tried (and succeeded a couple of times) to sting through my suit. Also, much to my dismay, they were very crowded and I found 3 swarm cells. I tried looking for the queen, but they were just too nasty, so I ended up closing it up without doing anything to deal with the swarm cells (I didn't want to cut them out unless I could find the queen).

I went on to hive number 2...didn't get very far into my inspection when this hive began behaving just like the first: bombarding me!

So, I've given up for today. Just wondering if you think yesterday's storms could have had an effect on their behavior today.

Default Re: thurnderstorms and mean bees?

Most likely. Thunderstorms can put the bees in a bad mood, which is why beeks recommend not to inspect the hive in bad weather, especially storms. But, since today was a nice sunny morning, I guess the bees are still a little grumpy? :O

It may be the Tstorm holdover, but since you saw Q cells, are you sure they have a queen in there? You could check them later when it's sunny and see if the attitude has improved and if there are signs of a queen.

The second hive may have been upset because you were already marked with alarm phermones.

after a huge storm, isn't all the pollen washed off the plants? Could have sworn I heard that somewhere. If so, that could be the reason since they have nothing else to do/grab.

Again, I could have sworn I heard that somewhere, so don't blast the info. I know how cranky some of you get.

thanks...they swarmed either yesterday or today...found them up in a tree above the hive. My beekeeper friend with lots of swarm-catching gadgets came and got them down for me