Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

GE pollen & CCD?

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  snapper1d 
#1 ·
I did a search here on site & found nothing.
I do not want to start a war, just want to know if there is any proof.
Is genetically engineered pollen linked to Colony Collapse Disorder?
I keep hearing this on a Garden site & thought you would know more then
Non beekeepers.

#5 ·
Barry, surely with do respect, you do not believe that GM crops are responsible for CCD?? Crops have been being altered since the 1970's. CCD is a twenty first century anomoly. Viruses in strange combinations are being looked at for CCD. What were the original vectors for these viruses is where the concern needs to be.

#10 ·
jolj:

I've read nothing in the literature that indicates that CCD is associated with pollen from GM crops.

However, RNA viruses, some of which have been associated with CCD, have been found to be transmitted between species of pollinators by pollen.

#11 ·
It would be best to look into the contact that EHBs have when the directly or indirectly interact with the AHB and its symbiote the Small Hive Beetle for the viral cause of CCD. Both those animals are carriers of a host of viruses and Yeast that our bees have never seen. TK

#14 ·
Plenty of beetles!!!!! The bees are really taking care of them.When I open a hive and see a beetle there is a bee hot on him balling up trying to sting him.I sat out three combs a couple weeks ago to take home to use for some swarm traps and then visited a couple traps down there in the bottom and had a good swarm in one.Well in the excitement I forgot the three frames.I remembered them friday afternoon but they looked like maggots in an out house.Combs way too far gone to do anything except burn it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.