Default Hello from Hiram, Ohio

Hi! My name is Ricky, I'm 47 and I have been fascinated with bees since I was old enough to read about them. By the 8th grade, I had decided that I wanted to be a beekeeper as a career. So I talked to a local beekeeper, and told him that my only problem was that I was deathly afraid of being stung, but I would just wear the suit and would never get stung. He told me, "Well, you'll still get stung once in a while, but after the first 50 stings or so you won't even notice it." That was the end of my beekeeping aspirations, and I ended up becoming an Electrical Engineer. But my interest never went away, and now here I am 30 some years later, and getting stung doesn't seem so scary anymore.

So now I'm jumping in with both feet. I built one Warre (with movable frames, as required by law in Ohio for inspection purposes) and one Langstroth over the last couple of weeks. I did a lot of research, and installed my first package of Italians in the Langstroth the other day without a hitch. I just can't believe how gentle they are! they don't even seem to notice me. I'm hoping to trap a swarm soon to fill the Warre. I happen to live just a couple of miles from Blue Sky Bee Supply, and bought most of my other equipment there. The owners have also been great with information and advice!

This forum has given me a LOT of good information. Thanks! Keep up the good work!

Default Re: Hello from Hiram, Ohio

Welcome Ricky! I have a little beginner info on my websites too with pictures. americasbeekeeper dot com or dot org
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome,
    Hiram, Isn't that where blue sky beekeeping supply is located. Good people, & they frequent this forum.
    If you haven't checked them out yet, you might want to visit them.
    Dan

KQ6AR,

Yes, I know about Blue Sky, and I bought most of my supplies from them. They're just a few miles away. Real nice people, and they gave me a lot of good advice to get started.

Welcome Ricky Bee,

I began life there in Ohio. It is a very nice place to start from and to begin beekeeping.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Hey Ricky Bee, good to have you and welcome from SE Ohio.

Welcome, from columbus!
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

And Athens...

Welcome from Stark County. Jamie is a great guy. Glad you got hooked up with him getting started. Enjoy your first season, and try to join your local beekeepers association.
    To everything there is a season....

I just received my first order from Blue Sky Bee Supplies and am very happy Great prices and quick shipping.