Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive Top Feeder/Killer

29K views 65 replies 44 participants last post by  Ray Bayless 
#1 ·
I installed Brushy Mountain hive top feeders two weeks ago on both my hives. I was alittle pissed when I opened the hives up today to find 150-200 bees floating in both feeders :eek: . The feeders do have floats in them but they dont seem to work to well. Has any one made in changes to this stye feeder to lessen the number of bees drowning?

I do have two of these feeders I could install in place of the hive tops:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Large-Plastic-Entrance-Feeder/productinfo/422L/

Any information would be helpful, thanks!

#63 ·
Here are some photo results of the bowls of syrup with the hydroton ceramic balls. I think they work rather well! Two hives (actually 3 of the 4) had a one quart bowl and mega bee patty the third (picture) hive had a quart and a quart and a half bowl which they had not quite finished up. I had put the bowls in on Sunday; the one quart bowls had been drank dry and there wasn't a single dead bee in either one. The hive that had the 2 bowls was about 3/4 consumed and all the bees you see in the picture were alive. I even filled both back up with the bees in there and they clung to the balls and floated up with them. As an experiment I put some of the hydroton balls in a jar of water to see if they get water logged. Some do and sink but there is enough to still cover the surface and provide a nice floating mat. For those wanting a solution to a watering bucket, this just might be the ticket. I'm planning on making up some hive top feeders and seeing how well these do on a larger scale as well as add them to my friends hives if his HTF's are still causing a lot of bee drowning.

#64 ·
" Has any one made in changes to this stye feeder to lessen the number of bees drowning?"

I have the hivetop Brushy Mountain feeders, and had the same result you did. Drowned bees everytime I opened it up to fill it. My solution was to cut pieces of plastic cross stitch canvas to fit the floats with just enough clearance on the sides so that they sit flat and don't touch the walls of the feeder. Bees can walk all over this stuff, it's big enough for them to feed thru, and no more drowning. Ask for this at a craft store like JoAnn (Darice Stiff Plastic Canvas 7 Count 12"X18"-Clear) I don"t remember the exact price, about $2.00 for a couple of 12X18" sheets.

#65 ·
I thought I'd offer an update here.

I had a chance to talk with my friend that is using this type of feeder. Once he leveled up his hives, he's not seen a single drowned bee in them. Probably effected they way the floats worked; so for what it's worth, fed bees and minimal dead ones. All good for him.

#66 ·
This is my first year as a beekeeper. I chose the Mann Lake
FD-118, plastic two sided with a screen to keep the bees contained. I found that they killed 50-100 bees every couple of days. I was able to greatly reduce the number of dead bees by cutting 5/16" dowels that filled the slots and would rise and fall with the syrup level. The problem I now have is that it gives the SHB places to hide. I'm going with inverted buckets over the innercover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.