Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from another Massachusetts newbie

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CesarBeeCool 
#1 ·
This is the beginning of my second year. I started late last June with one 3lb package from Gardner Apiaries, Ga. All around nice people, service, price, and nice bees. The hive started off slow then took off in July, August. Went into September strong with about 2 deeps of honey/pollen then stalled out. I was worried about the honey situation and feed syrup right through mid Nov. I took out syrup put in fondant, and bundled the hive up for winter not to hopeful. I was able to check the hive late in Jan and saw there was a small cluster left, about the size of a softball (no bigger). I thought they were done for. Then came the long, long tail of winter here in Central Mass. and I expected to be picking dead bees from comb this spring, but I checked in early March and that same cluster was hanging on. I put on syrup and I believe they already have the first new generation for the year. They are gathering and filling their sacs with pollen, but I don't know from where, there is nothing in bloom here. They are mind blowing creatures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.