Thread: Watermelon

Default Watermelon

Has anyone put bees on a watermelon field?
    If so how is it, what should I watch for, any pointers?

Default Re: Watermelon

watermelon in Oregon is hard on the bees because they use allot of sprays on the vine crops beware...More than once had pesticide poisoning of my hives
    Honeydew

I have heard that bees will starve on watermellon

A local beekeeper was talking to some of us newbies at the club and he said if you are charging a farmer to put your bees on a watermelon or cucumber field make sure you are being paid more because the bees will struggle getting enough feed to make honey. Just passing on what he said, I have no experience with it personally. He is the president of the state bee association so I would take his word on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rmaro View Post
    Has anyone put bees on a watermelon field?...
    The Young Harris Beekeeping program at the University of Georgia has an excellent guide on pollinating watermelons and other members of the cucumber family. Here is the link. http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/pollinat...tml#watermelon

There is also information here on which soybean verities produce nectar and which soybeans are useless to bees.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYDEW View Post
    watermelon in Oregon is hard on the bees because they use allot of sprays on the vine crops beware...
    Ditto for Indiana. I know a number of commercial guys who will no longer use their bees to pollinate vine crops.

I have 2 hives on watermelons.the deal I have is they spray late in the evening&if my hives end up poisoned he replaces them with a hive of the same size.told him that could get expensive.watermelon isn't a good nectar source,so you need to check for other sources.It's good for pollen&my hives have have been there for 2 years&doing fine

This is kind of beside the point of this topic, but one year my grandpa, throughout a good part of the season, would bust up a watermelon in front of a hive I had by his garden. I guess he thought the bees would enjoy feeding on it. All this accomplished was attracting wasps and it made the honey from that colony taste a bit weird. Like too sweet almost.
    ...This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwinbees View Post
    I have 2 hives on watermelons. if my hives end up poisoned he replaces them with a hive of the same size. It's good for pollen&my hives have have been there for 2 years&doing fine
    You say he replaces them if they get poisoned, and you say your bees are doing fine, soooo are they doing fine or are they being replaced...
    Honeydew

How long do bees need to set at the field? 3-4 weeks? I have a offer of 50 bucks a hive...is that reasonable?
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    How long do bees need to set at the field? 3-4 weeks? I have a offer of 50 bucks a hive...is that reasonable?
    Mike
    Mike talk to Tecumseh about the melons. He has a ton of commercial growers by his house and knows a lot about them. Though he would not but bees on the ones in his area. He says it’s a death sentence if I remember correctly.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

i have 130 hives on melons right now they look good but i keep fed on them every two weeks they are in them for about 5-6 weeks