Default Pollinating Cucumbers, Pumpkin and Watermellons

I know that hives have to stay on these crops longer so what is the going rate for pollinating? Also, do these crops produce any honey? Do I have to feed when the bees are on Pumpkins and Cucumbers?

Default Re: Pollinating Cucumbers, Pumpkin and Watermellons

My bees pollenated for Vlasic pickles down below The Dothan Alabama area years back. Cucumbers are very hard on the bees. You will put in strong hives and watch them dwindle. We had to supply 1000 colonies every year for this contract. The problem is the poor bees get moved from set to set. So we would have to make up 30% of the bees every year. There is NO nectar in a cucumber. And the pollen is very low quality. You must get paid for every time the bees are moved to another set or it is not worth the bee losses caused by cucumber pollenation. Pumpkins is a little better story, depending on the weather, the bees sometimes pickup some honey and pollen. Watermelons, Cantelopes, and Squash are also O.K. to move bees in on. But Cucumbers, Set your Price HIGH enough to replace your losses. Been there, done that- Cucumber pollenation-And I do not eat pickles because of it. TED

Summer pollination blows.

I send a few thousand colonies to the Delmarva peninsula every summer for cucumbers/melons, and yes this area is hard on the bees. In order to have decent looking bees at the end of the job, it requires us to leave a shallow of honey on the bees for reserve, the bees pull in some nectar and pollen from other plants but it is only a some of what they require.

Aaron