Default If Oxalic and Thymol are harmless to bees and toxic to varroa...

...then why do these things kill brood, and not affect varroa in capped cells?

After using oxalic vapor, one will often find brood at different stages of development is killed and disposed of outside. I have read that this can happen with some of the thymol products out there as well.

And these things are supposed to be much harder on mites than bees.

So if it's killing a certain amount of capped brood - wouldn't it be killing a lot of mites in the cells too?

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: If Oxalic and Thymol are harmless to bees and toxic to varroa...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    ...then why do these things kill brood, and not affect varroa in capped cells?...
    I suspect "these things" are not harmless to bees like the title suggests, but instead work like chemotherapy. In other words, oxalic, & thymol kills the bad stuff, (mites on your bees like chemotherapy kills cancer cells inside you) only all three kill the bad stuff just a little slower (hopefully) than they kill your bees or kill you.

I would liken acid treatments to caustic fly swatters. They burn down the mite population but don’t harm enough bees or brood (hopefully) that the hive cannot recover and rebuild its population in time.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.