Thread: Help Needed

Default Help Needed

This may not be the best spot to post this, but it kind of makes sense to put it here in the equipment area.

I have nothing at all yet in the area of extracting equipment.

I am looking to purchase everything I need for extracting.

I am thinking Maxant big time.

From what I have gathered both off memory and read about, I will need some type of uncapping tank, an uncapper (thinking a plane type hand held with a scratcher as backup as needed), and extractor (radial type - electric), buckets (easy to find - I have a perpetual source of free 6 gallon ones with screw on lids), a double screen with some cloth filters, and a bottling tank.

OK fellow beeks...what am I missing? Also, care to give out some favorite model numbers?

Comments are most welcome. Maxant has given me some excellent model numbers but I want outside experienced operator recommendations if possible.

My goal is premium, long life equipment with years of dependable service. I would rether spend more on quality now, than less and have it fail to function when needed or ware out early.

Default Re: Help Needed

Biggest question is how big are you going to get?

# 1 - You can't go wrong with Maxant!

Extractor - go radial and electric (size depends on how big you get)
    Uncapping tank - nice to have (just picked up a used one myself)
    Uncapping plane - Haven't tried one but again, I just picked up a used one myself to try) Have been using a scratcher so far.
    Double screen - must have
    Bottling tank (again nice to have, size depends on your needs) I just got a brand new Maxant 300lb. I have anywhere between 15 - 20 hives and will expand this year so the tank became a must.

Check around for used, you are talking a pretty big expenditure starting out! (I got a deal on a Dadant 20 frame radial with S/S stand for $700).

What I did, wrote down the number of colonies I plan to have, size of the honey house, then mailed it to Maxant/Jake for his advice/opinion.
    No pushy selling on his side, just friendly advice that I appreciate.
    Go with Maxant and plan bigger.
    http://www.maxantindustries.com/
    ==Northumberland County Beekeeper, Trent Hills, Ontario==

I bought a 18 frame extractor from mannlake out of MN done all I have needed it for.

"OK fellow beeks...what am I missing?"

Let see.....

A method for warming the supers
    A heated settling tank
    storage area for buckets of honey
    A method for sanitizing jars
    storage area for jars
    Blue tarps
    mops
    rags
    hot water
    kitty litter
    wax melter

How many hives do you have? No point buying serious equipment until you have serious numbers. I'm all for buying an 18 frame or so extractor (you can still get that through the kitchen door) IF you have some money you just want to spend or you have fifty hives or so. After that, there is no point buying a lot of extras (or even an extractor) for four or five hives. I did crush and strain for 26 years for four or five hives. I do like the extractor, but it wasn't of much use until I hit at least 10 to 20 hives and a bumper crop year.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ya man it fit thru my kitchen door no problem. Look at the prices of extractors and check the price of the 18 frame extractor at mann lake alot more bang for the buck plus it allows for expansion for future. I strained honey for 2 years when I got my extractor I did 15 10 frame hives in 2 days saved about all my comb for the 1st year and have not looked back since.15 hives and after 2day I retrieved a huge colony and I will split it and I ordered a queen friday when I saw how big the colony was so I will have a new queen by monday at 4 and that will give me 17. Spent from 10am til 8 today getting this colony alot of work but the benefits will speak for themselves I hope I answered your question later