View Poll Results: How well did/does foundationless work for you?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Works Great. I'm a true believer.

23 56.10%
  • Epic Fail. Never again.

1 2.44%
  • Somewhere in the middle.

17 41.46%

Default Foundationless Success Poll

There is a lot of talk on this site about foundationless and its pros and cons. I am wondering how many beekeepers who have actually tried this method have had successful results and how many have had negative results. Thanks for taking to time to respond!

Default Re: Foundationless Success Poll

I like it. It works for me and the girls.

Don't forget to vote on the actual poll Daddy'sBees!

Out of ten double deep hives, plus supers, I've only had 2 or 3 badly drawn combs. One was started to the side of the guide, when all the others were perfect. I don't know what went wrong there. A couple others were off just enough to make a slight mess. I just ran a knife along the bottoms and pushed them over to the center of the bottom bar. I keep my hives as close to perfectly level as possible. I think that is key. All in all, it works good for me.

As I cull my old comb, I am replacing it with foundationless. It's working out beautifully. I just extracted the other day from 2-yr-old foundationless comb--not wires, no support brads--and it help up just perfectly in the extractor.

I started going foundationless 4 years ago. I have had no problems with it. I don't necessarily have any evidence that it is better for the bees, but it is better for my wallet.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Saves a ton of money. I've only had 3-4 that were minimally crossed combed, but one of those was unfixable. I just moved it to the outside waited until it was full of honey, then pulled it, and put in new empty frames. Really not a problem. When you factor in $40 per hive in foundation times however many hives you have, it's a no brainer.

I still use combinations of; PF120's, and foundationless. Sometimes the foundationless can be mostly drone comb, but since I raise queens I can either use them for drone production, honey production, or just cut them out to be redone, it isn't much of an issue. I've only rarely had a comb built slightly less than straight, again, not an issue. Certainly save me from spending money buying pesticide contaminated beeswax foundation.

I like to think that I'm avoiding having an excess of pesticide contaminated beeswax in my hives and that this might make a positive difference.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

When I opened up a couple of my hives and the boxes were a mess, I swore never again. Then I found some nicely drawn, and thought, this isn't so bad. Then i found a brood box with 10 frames of DRONE comb... sigh... "never again" and yet.... so I'm modifying management, and will try again this year. Sometimes I think if I could just fire existing management, and hire someone with a strong back, lots of time and energy, I'd be ahead of the game.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I love it and have had very little problems. I only use it for my brood chambers (deeps). I use plastic in my honey supers. I started going foundationless to avoid unknown chemicals and amounts in the foundation we buy. It also fits well into my budget.

I have had no success going foundationless using swarms. I have had some success feeding in 1 or 2 frames at a time between frames of worker brood in established colonies. The results have never approached the quality worker comb I get using Pierco foundations.

I like it. Works great as long as you are not going 9 in 10 or 7 in 8.

Some bees jump on it quick, others take longer. I have some that will jump on foundationless before anything else.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Come on everyone! 450 views and only 30 votes? Let us know what you think. Thanks to those that have already voted

Quote Originally Posted by usaairforceeod View Post
    Come on everyone! 450 views and only 30 votes? Let us know what you think. Thanks to those that have already voted
    Sounds about right; most people have never tried foundationless.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Bees in nucs don't need drones so they don't draw drone comb. Place them between two straight drawn combs.

I use a lot of PF120 plastic frames, too. It is 4.95 cell size. I do feed in a fair amount of foundationless. Much of it is drawn as drone comb. I think that is because they already have so much brood size cells with the PF120s, they want to then draw the drone size. I have tried feeding in foundationless in the broodnest. It is more likely to be drawn as brood cells if there is a good flow on. Otherwise they usually draw it straight.