Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cant mow around hives anymore?

My brother and I both have a couple hives that are about 17 miles apart. He called me yesterday telling me how he tried to mow around his hives and the bees came after him. As usual I thought he was a wuss and blew it off. I mowed around part of mine yesterday and got a sting. Tried to mow again today and got at least two stings which one is on my eyelid! Bees followed me all the way inside. Never have either of us had this issue. I have mowed and used a weedeater all last year and not a problem. What gives? Weather was stormy 2 days ago followed by a cold front and high winds but today is breezy and 70 so I didn't figure they woud still be cranky. Antibes else in AR experience this after the storms? Thanks

Default Re: Cant mow around hives anymore?

That happened to my mentor last year and when he went inside, they went after his dogs and anyone else that was .5 miles away. Come to find out, they were africanized. You might have the same unfortunate luck.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I have mowed right beside my hives without any trouble.

Are you sure the same queen is in there?

No I'm not sure it's the same queen. They haven't bothered me at all till this week. I may have to dig and see what's there. I'm not sure that te africanized bees have reached here yet

I understand they have been found in Witchata Ks. so don't be to sure, suit up when you go in. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

You don't find it odd that different hives in different locations are behaving similar?

Yep, got six stings yesterday mowing, one hive is getting a bit nasty....had to smoke um and put on my jacket to finish. The other two could care less that I was there.

Not really, bee's don't like mowers.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Well it could be weather, it could be you took to long mowing around the hives, it could be BOTH sets of hives could be harassed by skunks/raccoons or being hasseled by wasp, or they each could be having different problems. Jim

THEY always say AHB can't survive here its to cold,,,, well the winters may be to cold but that may leave all summer to play and raise hell.
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by jsharum View Post
    I have mowed and used a weedeater all last year and not a problem. What gives? Weather was stormy 2 days ago followed by a cold front and high winds but today is breezy and 70 so I didn't figure they woud still be cranky. Antibes else in AR experience this after the storms? Thanks
    My uncle that kept bees (my earliest memories of bees was at his house) told me bees were often testy right before and after storms so I usually visit them before I work them if it's been stormy. Some of my grandkids came over after church today and we had thought to do a bit of maintence. As per usual we walked down to the hives to check things a bit before getthing everything ready and a few "came out to meet us". Didn't sting but checking us out pretty close so we decided to wait. Oldest grandson did some mowing around the fence in our yard about 10 foot away from the hives and they didn't bother him. You just never know...

Would you really suspect AHB from 1 or 2 stings ? i have some hives that over wintered her in Mass that will sting if you stand in their flight path.. I thought AHB were identified more by swarms of stings and being hyper defensive en masse rather than one or two stings. Could I possibly have AHB that successfully overwintered up here ?

I had a AHB hive and no I would not consider a his as such, they will exit the hive by the thousands when it is AHB. Bee's don't like mowers and strong hives will let you know about it.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Just getting in the flight path is enough to get one stung. Mowers making noise and causing vibrations may also cause the bees to investigate and get cranky. Two suggestions, mow after sundown, and suit up.

I like to mow first thing in the morning about the time they start coming out. I just do it quick and move on. Sometimes it's still a little wet from dew so I'll just mow around the hives and go out later to finish the rest of the yard.

Later, John

I am in arkansas too......... my bees were a little cranky today .

I mow about 20 feet around my hives, wait till late evening, close off the entrance and finish. Might get a few foragers returning but the gaurd bees are stuck in the hive. I'f I suit up or at least wear a vail I mow and weed wack right up against them. Some days they are just testy and mean for whatever reason.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

my thought is they were just cranky. no big deal. Sometimes they are just like that. I bet there stores are a little on the low side. When they got tons of honey and have nectar coming in you about cant get stung. I had a bee come get me 75 ft from my hive today. Was planting a fig bush. Surprised me,the hives are light and ready to get going. Take care Peace Dave

I place scrap pieces of plywood and 2x12's on the ground in front of the hives to keep the grass from growing but still have to move sometimes. I smoke em' and cut away. I'm also not afraid to put the veil on....just in case.

One BIG NO NO, is don't let the Mower discharge side be on the side that the Hive is on. Don't ask me how I know. Ha Ha. Sticks and trash hitting the Hive WILL be a sure way to get stung.

I mow all the time right up to my hives and have even blown cuttings towards the hive entrances. Never had a problem. Of course I expect that someday I will end up getting stung.

There are others threads regarding the subject so you might want to search for them. A safer way not to get stung is what I did yesterday. I mowed about 20' out from the hives. Just before dark I covered their entrance, put a vail on (they like to sting in the face). Took weed wacker and cut in around the hives. Got riding mower to finish up never throwing grass towards hives. Went back with roundup to kill the grass under the hive stands that I could not get with weed wacker. I'll do it again in a few weeks but will pull grass by hand in front of the hive when I work them on those days I decide I need to suit up anyway. Thought about throwing an old roofing shingle on ground in front of hive to keep grass down and not have to mow but once a month or so.

I'm not buying there is african bees in Arkansas unless it is extreme south which Greenwood is not. Fort Chaffee is too the east, I'd worry about all the Cubans that got outside the wire in 1980 when the Arkansas Highway Patrol broke down at the fence. Long story there!
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!