Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Upgrade successful!

I have an aversion to avatars. Just adds more noise to the experience.
    Regards, Barry

Not to be picky,,, And God do I know its hard to run a forum and please everyone...
    But you could have had a http://xenforo.com/

chat.. chat... chat...

im going into withdrawls..

Barry, Thanks for upgrading. Its probably my old tired eyes but I have a real hard time reading the orange color print on white background.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have an aversion to avatars. Just adds more noise to the experience.
    Sorry to disagree but I feel having avatars have nothing to do with aversions,hiding or anonymity.It gives members the freedom to express their individuality,and adds a little fun to the forum to see some of the comical avatars they come up with.I think you'd be surprised how many members would take advantage of it if it were allowed.This is only forum out of dozens I've been a member of and also been admin. and mod on that doesn't allow avatars.

Just my humble opinion

I really depend on the search function....hopefully everything will work out and we will be able to use it like before! I know a lot is involved in making an upgrade like this. I'm definitely not used to it yet, but will adjust in time.

I miss the RSS scrolling feed of new posts...!! Made it really easy to follow many topics at once, in realtime, as they update.

Seriously...I cannot find how many PMs i have...that can bee a issue with me....I do not want to max out my account....

Barry...If I sent you donuts they would be dead by time they got up there lol.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

After working with it a few hours, I'm finding that the colors are a bit lacking in contrast and the font size is a little small on the thread titles. In my iPhone, the title size is smaller than the size of the author name font.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I maintain an e-commerce site and know just how much time and energy an upgrade can suck out of one's life. You've done a nice job, Barry. Kudos!

A comment in case you had not noticed this yet -- The BeeSource banner on the forums pages is linked to the forum home http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php, not the main home page http://www.beesource.com/

Details, details, details... Ugh!

--DeeAnna

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    i have an aversion to avatars. Just adds more noise to the experience.
    yes
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

The search index is being rebuilt right now. Big drain on the server, but within an hour, it should be complete and the board search fully functional.
    Regards, Barry

Barry...what about the PMs? Sorry if I have been a pain in the rear...just trying to figure this all out...I am not good with New and Computers in the same sentence LOL.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Thanks Barry I like it! Now to figure it all out.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I've got a problem (most likely is user error) when trying to view the latest posts.

I've got www.beesource.com saved as a bookmark. When on the home page from that URL, I click on "Recent Forum Threads (or view latest posts) and this is what I see at the top of the page:

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: navbar in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 4097
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/beesour/public_html/forums/vaispy.php(334) : eval()'d code on line 1
    Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: headinclude in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 4097
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/beesour/public_html/forums/vaispy.php(337) : eval()'d code on line 1
    Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: footer in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 4097
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in

Then the rest of the page format is all off and I'm not sure that new posts are being updated there.

I'm on a Mac using Safari as my browser.

Any ideas anybody what I'm doing wrong?

I have a hard time quickly scanning what thrads have new posts in them. Intuitively, I would think the red post icons have new posts....but it's not so- the red icons mean a 'hot topic'. What the heck does a 'hot topic' mean?? lol! i think any topic with new posts would be 'hot'.
    But no, I have to look for the visually subtle 'pieces of paper in the envelope' icon to scan over which threads have new posts. hard to ignore the red/vs/blue thing, yet 'hot topic' means nothing to me.

P.S. I like avatars! Plus they make it super easy to see at a glance who posted what, without having to constantly have to READ names of the authors of every post.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

OK, unless you find a glaring problem (which I haven't found), members will have to just kick back and use the board as is. It will take several weeks to get everything back looking like the old forum. Code has to be located that changes various aspects of the skin and there are a LOT of templates that have to be reconfigured. I have a day job, so this isn't going to happen over night. I still have bigger issues on the front burner; chat room, member ads, buttons, icons, smilies, before I get into all the fonts, color, sizing issues.

Isn't this fun?!
    Regards, Barry

One thing, not a big deal or anything, but I liked seeing the view/reply count in two separate columns. I don't know if that is possible to change, but it would be nice.

My goal will be to get it looking as close as possible to the old format. Everything can be changed/moved. Unfortunately, the documentation for this latest version is very poor. Takes a lot longer to find the place to make the changes.
    Regards, Barry

I like how chat is near the top of the to do list. Im going thru withdraw.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast