Thread: 6 Hives Wipeout

Default 6 Hives Wipeout

Ok, here is the scoop, this spring when we inspected hives we had 5 of 6 inhabited (i say inhabited because later they are gone and may have been dwindling already during first inspection). They looked weak but we had only a few worries. 2 weeks agao we checked the hive and found.... well not really sure what we found, looking for input. I have attatched photos but they arent that great. The brood ring on each frame had white substance in it, not ropey more like grains, but they were suspended in what as a first impression was considered nectar. We went back and only 2 are alive, small amounts of bees, both have queens not laying and all frames are "wet" as in most cells have liquid in them. the grains have an ovid shape, but arent shaped in the cell, just random placement (not in a curling pattern like the brood). Some capped cells we broke open had this in them as well, both liquid and white grains. It definately took hold over winter and exploded in early spring. I thought maybe chaulk brood, but I am not sure what all the liquid is, and all hives were medium strong going into winter. Bees that are alive don't look deformed, some of the dead outs had bees dead in cluster and still had this crud in outlying frames. just need to find out if I need to trash all the equipment and start over or not. Any input would be appreciated

https://picasaweb.google.com/samaras...eat=directlink

Default Re: 6 Hives Wipeout

Sam, any chance you could get a photo a bit closer? I tried zooming in with my computer, but couldn't get a clear image.

White stuff is granulated honey/feed. That's what happens over winter in the cold north. Nothing to do with why your bees died.

Check out this thread: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252832
    Last edited by Barry; 04-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    Regards, Barry

From what I can see, looks like heads stuck in cells. Classic starvation

I am working on a better photo, but I have seen crystaliized honey before and this looks more like floating flecks in liquid (that is thinner than honey). When my husband told me about it at first I thought maybe crystalized honey, but when i saw it firsthand...... I mean the outer part of the frame was fully liquid honey, it was just the inner rings that had this, and on every frame. If its rehydrating honey they didnt eat anything at all over winter because there was almost no room for brood, just this stuff. Also, how do they get the water into capped cells to rehydrate? we broke some open that had this in it as well as full honey

Also the picture of the bees are actually from the last live colony, (they act like they are working), so those are live bees, not dead ones.

In one dead out they were just hanging out on the frame dead. I didnt see any dead bees with thier heads in