Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Borage and Anise Hyssop seeds or seedlings...

Here's a pic....

http://www.gardening123.com/articles...S=60&ID=102252

Or try google.com , search for anise hyssop and click on 'images'.

Larry

The 6 large anise hyssop plants that i planted last year came up just as big and strong this year again, exactly the same plants. Plus lots of baby seedlings now in the spots around them. We have tough winters here, and the hyssop was not and annual at all! Maybe they die after a couple years?
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

If this is Anise Hyssop, I have been mowing, weedeating, and bushhogging this invasive weed for the last two years!!! Ya'll go ahead and laugh at me, but if you keep it mowed you never see the blooms!

Thanks for the help Omie and NasalSponge.

That does look like a type of mint. There is a quick way to tell if it is Anise Hyssop or not. I hate to say this because it is never a good idea to taste of a plant that you don't know exactly what it is. But, Anise Hyssop leaves will taste like black licorice. Other mints will have varying tastes, but will remind you of tea, unless it is peppermint or spearmint. Of course, this is just a general statement.

Bees will work all of the mints, but some don't make very tasty honey.

Let a small patch flower and see what you get.

Gonna let it all flower, except what is right in my yard. I took a survey of it yesterday afternoon. Found one patch close to a creek on my neighbors place about 100 feet x 30 feet and solid. Nothing but this. If I can talk him into not bushogging it, it would be good. Chances of that are good, as he is an absentee owner. Oh, yeah, It does taste like licorice!

Where I live the anise hyssop isn't invasive like other mints. It doesn't send off runners underground for new plants.
    There have been a couple articles claiming that 2 acres of anise blue hyssop can support 250 hives, thats just a crazy number.
    Another thing in the mint family my bees are working right now is Horehound, it hasn't spread in my garden either.
    Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12