Default First Package Today

After 30 plus years, I am finally back into it again! I installed my first package of Russian today, and next Monday I will be doing another package of Russians and 5 packages of Italians.

I built a bee area last fall and got all my supplies together. I am using Kelley's cyprus screened bottom boards, Mann Lake hives, and Dadant top screens. To start my hives out, I picked up extra deep hive bodies also from Mann Lake, built them and painted them light gray. I use them to cover up the 4 - 1 qt jar top feeders from Kelley.

I have a privacy fence wind break shaped in a "U" and the hives face the east. Around this fence, I have planted black berries, goose berries, boysenberries, yellow raspberries, and blue berries. In the area outside the fence, I planted 4 almond trees and 2 hazelnut trees.

When I figure out how to post some pictures, I will share them.

Overall, I was very worried about starting today. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were rather cold, rainy and windy in my part of VA, however, the Lord smiled on me today and gave me 75+ degrees and almost no wind this morning.

I ended up later this afternoon sitting beside the hive after I started the package at 10 am and I ended up watching them for about an hour. I was amazed that they were already bring in pollen by the load. I even got the chance to watch them chase off a wasp that got a bit to close to the entrance. One of my sons came and hung out and was very excited also...he has dreams of selling some honey and already has been getting some pre-orders from school. I tried to tell him that it may be awhile - but it did not squash his dreams.

The last time I had hives I was 10...my father was still alive then...and I can still hear his voice telling me to pay attention, that I may need to know how to do this someday. Thank you dad, I miss you...and thank you Beesource for filling in the blanks lost since my childhood.

Default Re: First Package Today

Wow, sounds like you are very organized! I guess you were paying attention to what your father was saying! I wish you the best of luck, and tell your son..you may get some honey, but maybe not enough to sell

Sounds wonderful!
    What a great way to remember your father as well.
    Now you will need to install a permanent chair near the hives to watch them from and feel peaceful.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Nice post.

Omie...

I already have a spare bench my mother gave me from her front porch after she sold her house. I plan on moving it into place this weekend.

And yes, I do tend to plan everything out. That is why I did a test run with one package of Russians a week before I did 6 more packages. That way, if I forgot anything, I would have a week to get it together.

Does anyone have any comments on a top bar hive? I am thinking of putting one together next spring to try one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Bee View Post
    Does anyone have any comments on a top bar hive? I am thinking of putting one together next spring to try one out.
    No reason not to try one out! Some folks love them, others don't. Sounds like a fun project in addition to your Lang hives. If you have the space and the desire, go for it!

Checked in on Natasha and her minions today (what I call the queen and her helpers), they have gone through 1/3 of the feed and the queen has been released and accepted and they are starting to build comb....had to remove the comb off the queen cage...they were not impressed by that action but it was necessary.

Monday should be interesting...I will be starting another Russian package and 5 Italian packages.

Wish me luck! So far, so good!

Good luck!!

Be sure all your frames are pushed right together in the middle, with any extra space left on either side.