Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Truck Recommendations?

Listen to Ted and Swarm trapper on the cummins diesel. They are built to last.

Have you done your homework on how much you will need each kind of vehicle? How many miles are your routes? How many trips a year? What would the costs be for different vehicles to accomplish this?

I see your v-8 pickup as a rather poor tool. too big to be efficient, and too small to haul much weight.

Will a car handle the offroad work? I know it would not last long going to our yards, you pan would be left behind.

Crazy Roland

Car would work well for my farthest yard...there we can pull right up or ride the farmer's RTV back..the other yards are 15 miles or less. The car would be for going to town on business, going to college, etc. Trucks would only be used when needed.
    On the truck we have that is exactly what i was thinking roland.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

It takes 2 trucks for us.. one a Toyota Tacoma (96) and the other a GMC6500 (2002). We use the Toyota on almost a daily basis in combination with a trailer. We can sit 1/2 a tote with a trash pump on the back and feed tough to get to yards. With the diesel we can haul pallets and sit multiple totes on it to pick up HFCS. We've actually got an old beat up wrangler that we use to haul syrup around a nuc yard, but we could just as easily use a tractor.
    Those guys are not kidding about the diesel engine... wish we could find one of those small pickups with a diesel engine like I have seen all over mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    .....why would i go out and get a v-6 Toyota and when i already have a v-8?
    Money boy Money, Unless your daddy's rollin in the dough and you plan on living at home forever someday soon with gas inching its way to five a gallon, and diesel even closer someday your going to half to worry about more than bees...although thats hard to imagine at 17.5..........wait a minute scratch everything I just saw your from TX everyone has an oil well in their backyard so fuel doesn't matter sorry
    Honeydew

Get a truck you can grow into, like a dodge cummins with duallies. Cummins will last forever, get decent mileage, and are easy to work on. 24 valve for better mileage, 12 valve for easier fix, your pick. My truck is an f350 with a gas 5.8 and a 10.5' aluminum flatbed with a gooseneck hitch in case I get bigger before I get a bigger truck. Longer bed mean more hives, but they'll have to be lighter.

Tim

Mike, I also have a 7000 series diesel ford truck that I use for the big loads and pulling a bobcat and trailer at the same time. But that you can get later in life. Right now find a good dodge cummings. Something you will have for many years of good service. And get manual transmission on ANY type truck you get. Automatics just do not last in the transmission. TED

HPM, I would love to find one of those Little diesel ISUZU pickup trucks. 40 miles to the gallon of diesel and would go any where. But for some strange reason the US government seem to kill the sales of this vehicle. So much for fuel economy., TED

Yup.. the little ISUZU diesel.... that is what I saw south of the border. Wish I knew the politics that are keeping this pickup out of the country... must be pretty interesting. I have been told that it is EPA standards... but I can not believe they couldn't fix that. Must be a whopper of a tariff on them.

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYDEW View Post
    Money boy Money, Unless your daddy's rollin in the dough and you plan on living at home forever someday soon with gas inching its way to five a gallon, and diesel even closer someday your going to half to worry about more than bees...although thats hard to imagine at 17.5..........wait a minute scratch everything I just saw your from TX everyone has an oil well in their backyard so fuel doesn't matter sorry
    Going to be at home another couple of years...just looking at the immediate needs....another dead-weight truck is not going to help me. I need something that can pull its own weight lol. Plus this is going to be a work truck so everything is a right-off. If i want a personal vehicle I will get a honda or toyota car in a year or so..right now that is really low on the list. Don't think you really get my situation.
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

ya have seen those little trucks. What a shame
    Has anybody seen those older toyota dually diesels? Any good? hardly see them around.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Well, mike, you decided on a truck yet??? I would sell you mine but that would kind of put a crimp in my beekeeping plans for the year. Still try to find a good used diesel flat bed, something you can grow with. TED

I have been recommended to go with the cummins in a dodge by my pastors son/mechanic...My second choice will be a chevy 350 or 454....
    Do keep the suggestions rollin in!
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

So KF,are you going to go pollen chasing and move your hives alot or are you setting up your yards for honey production ? Might make a diff. on what you need in a truck. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Gas is getting more expensive. At your present level of operation would a station wagon make more sense? How many miles a week, personal versus beework, are you going to drive. You could get a station wagon, and then use your parents' vehicles for the heavier stuff. I agree with the poster that said keeping the overhead down is key in a small operation. My station wagon is not pretty or cool (1999 Saturn) but I regularly get 36-40 mpg from it. I can use my wife's minivan for anything heavy. Ouch! Minivan, even more uncool, but very good for hauling most anything.

My point is that i do not have a truck that is powerful enough to do what i am doing.....I do not want another small vehicle...otherwise I would just use my parents vehicles (which they would rather me do anyways). In addition to the truck we have a newer van that we drive to bee meetings and town...that helps some.
    I can do my own work and know how to work on vehicles (or know where to get help)....I just changed the oil on the toyota truck...12800 miles and 14 months later! I know how to play the game!
    Any more suggestions on TRUCKS LOL
    Thanks All,
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

Let me also say the reason I am starting to look....For one who knows what inflation could do over the next couple of years. Also, the market right now is a buyers market...because of fuel prices. I would be using it so little (as in 200-300 miles a month average) that the gas would not be so bad...plus everything is a write off...
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

Anybody?

Mike
    Like us on Facebook

Diesel, 1 ton, I've driven all flavors. Dodge is nice, I do like the engine brake on the newer ones. I prefer an automatic myself now, I've never managed to kill one in a 1 ton. I have mostly driven company trucks, so if they are manual, they are sloppy (from bad drivers/employees).

You really need to think about what your typical load will be. Sure you have 50 hives, working to 500 or more. How many would you actually be hauling at a time within the few years? How long do you plan to keep it? Another option would be to buy used, drive it 1-2years, sell and repeat.
    "...Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones..." Proverbs 16:24 KJV

Short and sweet -- diesel engine, manual transmission.

Avoid: older GM & Ford with normally aspirated diesels (no power at all), and Fords with the first year of the 6.0 Powerstroke, which was 2000 or 2001 I think. Automatic transmissions won't hold up long to the diesel torque. Can't go wrong with the Cummins, or the 7.3 Fords. Duramax is ok, but not impressed by the rest of the Chevy truck.

I'm one of those people who scratch their heads in wonder as to WHY anyone would buy a full size truck with a gas engine. They must like throwing money away.

Kingfisher, I have not seen where you are including weight as a factor. What average weight per hive have you been calculating for your truck requirements???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast