Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Truck Recommendations?

average 100-150 each...do not hardly haul doubles or triples. If I do I haul them on trailer with a dolly
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Still NO truck yet???? When you buy one I want to see pictures of it posted here so we all can see it!!! TED

Ted, you will have to send me a check before i can get one LOL
    I found a 1997 Chevy 454. Leather, crew cab, flatbed, auto (which i need), nice paint job, nice interior. Its 5K OBO and looks good all around.
    Cons- rebuild trans and engine, some rust on the underside...

Any thoughts?
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Apiator View Post

I'm one of those people who scratch their heads in wonder as to WHY anyone would buy a full size truck with a gas engine. They must like throwing money away.
    Why? Here is the math as I see it based on my experience of owning quite a number of diesels. At 12000 miles per year a one ton sized diesel will cost about $4000 a year to run while a gas powered unit will cost around $5000. The diesel option is about an $8000 dollar option when buying new, a little less as they age. When one factors in the additional sales tax, insurance, and cost of money for the additional investment (at 5% around $400 per year) one could easily calculate the payback on your investment at 15 plus years. Then there is the great myth of diesel reliability, they are great until you have trouble, then you had better head to the bank and talk to your loan officer cause it ain't gonna be cheap. If you are going to work them hard, load them heavy and run them a lot of miles almost all the time then go for it, and it docent make much difference which one you buy (as long as it isnt a Ford 6.oh no which I believe started about 2003) if not save your money.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have heard horror stories about diesel issues costing huge $$$. I talked with my pastors son (who is also my mechanic) and he said with the 454 vs the Diesel it may come out to the same as far as fuel cost...
    Jim knows me, and knows that i really do not need a large diesel...i just need a entry level flatbed. I really would rather go with gas b/c that is what i am used to. Diesel would be one more thing for me to learn and figure out.....
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

Try to order a New F-350 or 450 cab & chassis with a V10 & see how long the wait is!!!
    Real tough to beat the Ford V10 & the $$$$ is a bunch cheeper than the Diesel with about the same powerl!!!

I like the GMC 454. It has the power you need. I have an 85 1 ton with (near as I can tell) over 300,000 on it. Its parked now(finally) with carb problems(darn quadrajet). But that truck MADE money. Even at 8 mpg.Hey you aren't gonna drive that truck to the grocery store every day. You are buying it to carry a load and that load is what pays the bills. So forget the mpg.
    If the rebuild was good then that means you wont have to do it.

I don't like anything other than a regular cab in a bee truck. Make sure the bed is wide enough for pallets.Other than the crewcab, I would take a look at the truck if it was close to me.

I see some good deals on F450s with the V 10. But heard horror stories about head gasket failures and spitting out spark plugs(not enough threads on an aluminum head).

The Ford v10's have had a great track record. I've used them since the were first made in '99, in three different trucks. They're used in fleet trucks a lot and again, have heard firsthand good reports.
    Regards, Barry

I am now reading the book Fifty Years among the Bees by CC Miller. He has a very nice picture of his mode of transportation.

Similar to this:

Thats good to hear Barry. Its hard to weigh the info going around on the net. A few unhappy customers can skew the data.

I admit the spark plug stories scared me away from what might have been a great deal on a used F450.

Here is what i drive-
    January- Trips to get lumber, 50 miles
    - take bees to someone to ship to almonds, 200 miles
    - check on yards-50 miles MAYBE
    Febuary- Lumber and checking on yards, 250 miles
    March- Spliting and working yards- 200 miles
    Picking up hives from #3 in January, 200 Miles
    April- Splitting/working yards- 300 miles
    May- Working yards- 200 miles
    June- Working yards- 150 miles
    July- "" - 100 miles
    August-"" - 150 miles
    September- splitting and working yards- 200 miles
    October " " - 150 miles
    November- Working Yards-50 miles
    December- Working Yards- 50 Miles
    Total- 2300 Miles (less 400 if no almond deal = 1900)
    Gas or Diesel? LOL
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

Some V10's & other Ford V8's had some spark plug/head gasket problems but not that many.
    Darn good ole work horse that can get some good MPG for the 2 extra buckets you got to feed

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    Total- 2300 Miles (less 400 if no almond deal = 1900)
    Gas or Diesel? LOL
    mike

Okay Mike... this isn't a lifetime commitment. You're not getting married... tho plenty of people jump into that with considerably less forethought.

Just buy a truck. That truck will teach you what you want, and what you don't want, in a truck. Then you sell it and buy the one you should have.

Really Mike, I want to know what you got so I can learn from your likes/dislikes. Well? About 200 post ago someone mentioned a beek from GA? who had a real nice rig for sale! I found him several days ago, but can not recall his name.

kind regards
    Stonefly7

Nothing yet...will need to save more money...read post ##1. But have close to enough!
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123