Default sparse laying pattern

I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's pretty early in the season to make a decision about requeening, but man alive, the difference between patterns in my two hives was astonishing. One is poly, so it was noticeably warmer inside than the woodenware, but it took me a good long while to find any eggs in my split. I did find some, though, so if they need to rustle up an emergency queen I'm okay with that. I have a Buckfast on order and was planning on doing a nuc with her, but if I have to pop her into the hive and wait for a supercedure or swarm cell for the nuc, I'm okay with that, too.

Do I give it until the nectar flow starts to give her time to build up before I think about requeening?
    Last edited by cmonkey; 04-07-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Default Re: sparse laying pattern

This is why it's a good idea to have to hives so you can compare. As you noted, there is a big difference. I would requeen her as soon as the buckfest queen comes and pull a frame of brood from the other hive to boost it also.

Good luck.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by cmonkey View Post
    ... so if they need to rustle up an emergency queen I'm okay with that...
    As far north as you are, do you have plenty of drones? Mature drones?

I don't have a lot yet, but one hive is going gangbusters and does have drone cells. I think maybe she's just starting slow and will get back into it soon, but if not, I want to be ready. I don't mind using the Buckfast and just doing a nuc from the strong hive. It's all about experimenting, imo. Looks like I may not have a choice!