Default Caught our first swarm today!!!!

My wife and I caught our first swarm today and we did it all by ourselves!!! We are very proud considering we just installed our first package last Sunday and have never done this before!
    The swarm was on the side of a large oak tree about 7' up. It was a little difficult in that they weren't on a branch that we could just cut and put in a box.
    It was the size of about two 3# package bees or maybe even a little bigger.
    With the advice of an experienced beekeeper, we brushed the bees a little at a time on a frame with foundation and put each one in the hive box. After about 3 frames they got a little agitated and stung me a couple of times. I should have had my gloves on but it wasn't too bad.
    We just kept sweeping them onto the frames until the box was full and there was only about a baseball size clump left just out of reach.
    We waited a few minutes to see if we got the queen. The bees in the air slowly started to go into the hive and we knew we got the queen then. The baseball size ball of bees slowly shrank until there was only a clump about the size of a quarter. They dispersed and only a few were flying around.
    We closed up the hive and brought them home!
    We got another call about a swarm on our way home but they were too far away for us to get.
    It was really exciting and now we are definitely hooked for life!!!

Default Re: Caught our first swarm today!!!!

this is like good news and bad news. good you got the swarm. bad news. now your a beekeeper. great hobby. good luck

Congrats. That has to be very exciting. I have not yet had the privilege of collecting a swarm off a perch. I am looking forward to my 1st.

I did get a phone call today from a friend that had agreed to take one of my swarm traps home. He said there were so many bees that they were crowded at the entrance trying to get in and out. I will have to collect them tomorrow. This is also exciting but not quite the same as capturing a swarm, I'm sure.

last wed. i caught my first swarm also,i was not prepared,but ,i did it !! I got a call from a guy that had bees in his shed for two years,they were in the wall between the plywood and the siding on the other side,well i didnt have a smoker or a suit,but was willing to try,so i took a big pan and lit some dry grass and added some moist grass and blew on it to make smoke,when i opened up the plywood,,,,there was a very large swarm,and lots of comb,some was realy dark and had brood and some was honey(yum),some was even crystalized(yum yum)
    . the bees were pretty mellow for a while until i started slicing down the comb,and the brood comb and started putting it into a big plastic tub,then sraping the bees off the wall into the tub with a peice of cardboard,i put a fabric screen over it all ,and was getting stung right and left,i got approximately 50 stings,15 on top of my head about 20 on my right and 10 on my left hand with a couple on the left side of my face over my eye and a couple under the same eye,(yes it was almost closed shut the next day !!) i also agot a few on my back,that realy bothered me when i was laying down,the next day my right wrist was so sore i could hardly move it. i took the bees to some hive bodies that i had set up near a farmers field where he said i could,but was awaiting bees,i had two side by side and put comb and bees into both,the next morning i checked up on them and the was big groups in both !! i was happy, friday i checked up on them and one was empty !!! but the other was solid for about three frames!! yeah !!! i think i was successful,so i combined both and stacked them and will check on them tues or weds. when i was at the shed , the first time there was bees heading up into the wall,so i took off the upper sheating and it was full also,and lots of new clean comb,, so i went back friday morning and there was a large swarm there,but only in the bottom,so ,i think there was two swarms,and i got the top one with the queen,,and i am waiting to get some money to buy a beesuit and a smoker before i do anything as brave as my last adventure !! but it was worth it,,free bees and a bunch of honey,,and lots of sore spots,,my eye has opened up and it looks like i was in a fight the top of my head is still very sore and the stings behind my ears and on my back still hurt realy bad,but its all going away !! i learned a lot ! hahaha i called a friend that helps a professional beekeeper (john newsome) and got advice after i took the bees and i believe it helped the bees stay,,,so thanks john and sam !!!

I do not know about anyone else, but I want a photo of bigmitch with that many stings posted on the web. That has got to be education for anyone braving something that complicated.

Good job!!!!

Congratulations, way to let them know who is boss right off too! Glad you did not get greedy and chase the second swarm the same day.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I am sorry,,i didnt take any pictures, and i am in oregon visiting my daughter,with no camera,,,,but if i get up enough nerve and try to get the rest of them,,i will try to take pics and post on here. i went to fill out an application for a job and was asked "did you get into a fight" hahaha,my right hand shows 16 bumps on it from stings,that are visible still and my left eye still is swolen underneath it and discolored. i went back to see what was left in the shed and the guy that lived at the house would not ome out,neither would his wife,they just peered out the windows,,haha when i left they were just looking out shaking their heads!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am definetly not done there!!!

well,,,i went over and tried to get the rest today,still dont have a bee suit(if anyone has a spare they want to donate? i would appreciate it),,i got most of them,by putting a plastic storage tub under them and wiping down the wall with cardboard,,again i used a metal pan as a smoker,and they were calm ,,until i started,,,they stung me realy good this time !! i wore a carhart style jacket and a pair of cotton gloves i had around,the house,and some fabric screen around my head.they got me a few times when i was removing them,but when i was trying to put them into the hive body that was empty,next to the other group i have from last week, i poured most of them into the hive,then the tub dropped,,thats when i realy got stung,,they even got my ankles !! they got me good on my wrist's,both of them,i had to run and let them settle down !!,but i got a lot of bees ,and hopefully another hive going,when i left they were going in and out of the hive,and a bunch balled up on the ground in front of the hive,i have one sting on the side of my chin that realy hurts and is swollen pretty bad.