Thread: lots of drones

Default lots of drones

I was in my hives today and found a lot of drone cells, it seems very early in the year for so many drones. Any thoughts as to why so many drones? My hives also have a lot of brood not just drones
    Thanks
    Jay T

Default Re: lots of drons

Your queen could be running out of eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Jay T View Post
    I was in my hives today and found a lot of drone cells, it seems very early in the year for so many drones. Any thoughts as to why so many drones? My hives also have a lot of brood not just drones
    Thanks
    Jay T
    Bees do their thing according to the weather. If you get a lot of rain and a good spring flow,you will get a lot of drones and brood and swarms. If you have a drought,you will get little amount of drones and swarms. Bees are very smart.
    Before man took over bees there was nature,it did a better job.

Bees typically produce a lot of drones before swarm season.

Quote Originally Posted by bbm View Post
    Your queen could be running out of eggs
    Could this happen? Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that if a queen was reaching near the end of her life she would just not produce as much / lay as well. What do others think about this?

Default Re: lots of drones

Quote Originally Posted by Jay T View Post
    I was in my hives today and found a lot of drone cells... also have a lot of [worker] brood ...
    Judging from the time of year I suspect that its the birds and the bees thing going on.

You heard about the birds and the bees before haven't you? You know birds sing and bees make honey!
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    Could this happen? Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that if a queen was reaching near the end of her life she would just not produce as much / lay as well. What do others think about this?
    Drones result from unfertilized eggs. A queen may be a 'drone layer' if she wasn't well mated (maybe it was rainy that week). Her spermatheca holds all the sperm from her matings and if she only mated with a few drones, she may run low and start laying mostly drones.

How old is your Queen
    Maybe time to requeen

JMHO

Tommyt

If the queen were failing wouldn't the drone brood be mixed in haphazardly on the frames?

Quote Originally Posted by muskratcreekhoney View Post
    If the queen were failing wouldn't the drone brood be mixed in haphazardly on the frames?
    No, it wouldn't be. Just because a queen has no more fertilized eggs doesn't mean she will start to lay haphazardly. She continues to lay as she did before, just no fertilized eggs.

Without digging through and actually laying eyes on the queen, its hard to guess at this point.

1. Could be natural for this year.

2. Queen could be out of eggs.

If you find the queen and find normal eggs/larva in a decient pattern, I'd just wait and see. If you inspect and see multiple eggs in a cell then you may have lost your queen and a bad time and the hive could not make another... in which case you may have a laying worker.

A thorough inspection is in order.

Seeing a lot of drones/drone cells this time of year is very normal. Seeing almost only drone cells is the indication of a problem. If your queen is still laying a strong amount of workers with a decent pattern, I would say forget about it.
    ...This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.