Default Post package install question.

I picked up 5 packages on Sunday and installed them today and everything went great. However, in one of the packages the queen was dead. I thought about transfereing a frame or two of brood from another hive but didn't do so as it was getting late and dark. I opened and inspected the hive I was going to steal a frame or two of brood from and looked at three frames and on the third frame there was a capped queen cell. I am thinking about moving that frame and maybe one or two more over. My fear is that the queen from the queen cell once hatched will not be able to mate successfully as I have not seen any drones at all yet. Am I wrong in thinking that it is too early and cold for a queen to successfully mate in Iowa during the first of April? I have called the person who I got the packages from but haven't heard back yet, but he did say that he has extra queeens in case there is was a DOA queen. Just looking for some of your thoughts. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Default Re: Post package install question.

contact your supplier and tell them...

Quote Originally Posted by daj4cy View Post
    I picked up 5 packages on Sunday and installed them today and everything went great. However, in one of the packages the queen was dead. I thought about transfereing a frame or two of brood from another hive but didn't do so as it was getting late and dark. I opened and inspected the hive I was going to steal a frame or two of brood from and looked at three frames and on the third frame there was a capped queen cell. I am thinking about moving that frame and maybe one or two more over. My fear is that the queen from the queen cell once hatched will not be able to mate successfully as I have not seen any drones at all yet. Am I wrong in thinking that it is too early and cold for a queen to successfully mate in Iowa during the first of April? I have called the person who I got the packages from but haven't heard back yet, but he did say that he has extra queeens in case there is was a DOA queen. Just looking for some of your thoughts. Thanks in advance for all the advice.
    Try to get a mated queen,if you can't,give them the cell and brood.
    Before man took over bees there was nature,it did a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by daj4cy View Post
    I have called the person who I got the packages ... he did say that he has extra queeens in case there is was a DOA queen.
    If the package supplier will replace the queen, do it! Package bees can't afford the delay of raising a new queen, they need a mated queen if they're gonna start successfully

I would give them the queen cell and frame of brood. It will keep them busy until your replacement queen arrives. I new though, so take it for what it is worth.

I'd get a new queen from the supplier. You can give them a brood frame but things can get complicated if you don't get a real queen in there right after that. You should be OK for a short period of time.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Do a newspaper combine with them with another of the packages. Get a queen later if one can't be had immediately and split the combined hive. You'll probably end up with more bee's in the end than you would with both queens living separately and you may also get a decent honey crop off them if you have drawn comb and split after early flow. If installed on foundation you might have to reduce to one box for now after combine. If comb your probably ok leaving both boxes.(caution) If your package queens are out this kind of disruption to a newly intro'd queen can cause them to kill her. Keep her caged another few days after combine.

Best bet would be a newspaper combine with an existing established hive.(little danger to established queens)Most foragers will go back to the hive closest to queenless package if you've had flying weather since install boosting their population.

Lot's of options glass is always half full, turn a bad situation into a good one and don't panic.

Supplier called me back and said to come pick up a new queen and will be doing that right after work today. All looks good. Thanks for the responses.

Love all my suppliers. I find that the bee industry is a pretty trustworthy bunch of guys. Thanks suppliers.