Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the weight of a Nuc?

I'm trying to make an educated guess as to the weight of an average 5-frame wooden Nuc with full frames of brood/stores/bees.

Any of you vendors want to pitch in an estimate or a range?

Input appreciated.

Default Re: What is the weight of a Nuc?

35-40 lbs. +/-

Why? You going to ship them somewhere?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    35-40 lbs. +/-

Why? You going to ship them somewhere?
    Planning on picking up quite a few of them for a club, and want to estimate as accurately as possible the entire weight of the "freight" so we don't overload the vehicle.

Makes sense.

Depends on the size of the nuc and WHAT KIND OF BOX IT IS IN!
    Cardboard is obviously less weight than a wood nuc box made of 3/4 material.

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    Depends on the size of the nuc and WHAT KIND OF BOX IT IS IN!
    Cardboard is obviously less weight than a wood nuc box made of 3/4 material.

Mike
    Wooden Nucs as stated - and I'm assuming 3/4" wood structure.

An empty wooden nuc box weighs about 5 lbs. Each frame of brood or honey will weigh about 5 lbs. The adult bees will weigh about 3 to 5 lbs. So, about 35 lbs. Cardboard nucs weigh a little less. Maybe 2 to 3 lbs less.

How many nucs are you getting and what kind of vehicle aere you using for transporting them?

transporting nucs can be tricky. first and foremost, make sure there is plenty of ventilation. we drove about 40 nucs a few years ago in a cargo van. i used screens on the top and the bottom of the box, and i built "racks" for the nucs so they could sit with several inches between them (top and bottom). with the ac on (and a fan blowing it to the back of the van), the bees stayed quiet and clustered (holding onto any heat). if we tried to make things more comfortable for us by raising the temp just a bit, you could hear the roar and smell the bees...they were trying to shed excess heat, and could easily have all overheated one another.

also, remember that if lots of brood emerges while the nuc is combined, you could all of a sudden have more bees that require more cooling.

i'd consult with the supplier, as the supplier has a vested interest in making sure the nucs get home safely.

deknow

Wink Re: What is the weight of a Nuc?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    An empty wooden nuc box weighs about 5 lbs. Each frame of brood or honey will weigh about 5 lbs. The adult bees will weigh about 3 to 5 lbs. So, about 35 lbs. Cardboard nucs weigh a little less. Maybe 2 to 3 lbs less.

How many nucs are you getting and what kind of vehicle aere you using for transporting them?
    35lbs+/- is about what the vendor stated as well... It sounded high at the time, but maybe I don't know my own strength. We're getting about 160 of them. Think that will fit in a Toyota pickup if we stack 'em high and strap 'em down??

s160 wooden nuc's in a pickup, sounds like asking for trouble! Way too many!

5600 lbs is way overload in a std pickup truck even if you can fit them. Time to go to UHaul and rent a dual axle trailer

that would be a good load for a ton pu. look inside the door for the gross wt. you need a trailer. good luck

Sounds like somebody better do some math, your pick up truck bed is this wide and this long. My nuc box is this, by that: I can get x number of nuc's per layer. A nuc box is this tall. 160 divided by this many per layer. that many layers will be this tall (measured from the bed of the truck, not the ground) ... Let us know how the math works out.

Quote Originally Posted by rlsiv View Post
    Think that will fit in a Toyota pickup if we stack 'em high and strap 'em down??
    I can visualize that as practicle or not. I wouldn't have tried to move that many in my F-150. You'd better look for a bigger truck or take two or three trips.

The quip regarding a Toyota truck was Sarcasm folks.

I'm estimating the Nucs, bees, pallets, nets, straps, etc will weigh close to 6,000lbs. I work for a transportation company, and have access to light duty trucks all the way up to class 8 tractor trailers. Just trying to determine if my weight estimates are in the ballpark so I can decide between a 1ton flatbed truck, a 16,000lb capacity equipment trailer, or a CDL flatbed truck. Fuel economy for an 11hr drive is a consideration, so I want to use a truck that can More than handle the load yet isn't going to be so much overkill that I'm getting 5mpg. Picking the optimal truck for the job.

No worries - the bees will be fine..... I try never to load more than 70-75% of the vehicle's capacity, especially with a sensitive/perishable load.

Thanks to all who helped validate the weight estimates.

And people wonder about my replys. Thanks alot.

It seems like everyone was trying to give you advise based on their experience. you could not physically fit the bees on your pu let alone the weight. now your an expert with a trucking company. by

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    It seems like everyone was trying to give you advise based on their experience. you could not physically fit the bees on your pu let alone the weight. now your an expert with a trucking company. by
    I'll refer you to my original post and simple question: "How much does a wooden Nuc weigh". Pretty simple. From there folks offered (unsolicited but very kindly) their own expertise in several areas, including Yes, the logistics/transportation field that I have some experience in... I found this humorous, and replied with a sarcastic quip, as it was sort of like asking for the current time and being asked where I was headed, what driving speeds I anticipated, whether I had checked my oil & tire pressure or had packed a sack lunch for the trip. My apologies for utilizing sarcasm, and for not divulging right off the bat that I've spent my entire adult life in transportation.
    I wanted to get some validation of Nuc weight so my calculations were as correct as possible. I got that. My sincere Thanks to all who responded. If you're offended: "Lighten up, Francis". Ralph.

The funny thing, is that some folks are so clueless, that your quip of 160 nuc in a PU was believable. Build something idiot proof, and the world will build a better idiot.
    I for 1 got a kick out of it.

If one is not asking a serious question a smiley face is the way to indicate that. Had that been done, I wouldn't have taken the answers I got seriously. Unless obvious, I take all questions seriously. Which, I guess, makes me a fool. I guess if one doesn't know who the fool is, it is yourself, eh?