Default Paint on Queens?

Was marking queens by pushing them on the frame with my fingers is this kosher? Worked better than feeding them in a marking cage and also better than me holding them.
    Also, sometimes i get paint on the base of the wings and barely on the legs...is this ok?

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Default Re: Paint on Queens?

Bad idea Mike. Any pressure on her abdomen can be detrimental to her laying ability and longevity... paint on her wings and legs can lead to early supercedure... can't really explain the process of how I hold them.. its one of those things that you just have to see and try for a while to get it right... with my left hand, I let the crawl on top of the palm side of my middle finger, while bringing my forefinger and ring finger up along side of her as walls, the tip of my thumb goes in front (and somewhat above) of her as a stop and then with the right hand, I mark her... told ya I couldn't explain it!

Marker tubes may help... I am not a fan of marking personally... but understand why people ask for it. The only times that I mark my own queens is when I select breeders (just to ensure that the graft is definitely coming from the queen that I selected) and for studies of course... I prefer tags over paint...

I'm sure you already know, but I'm going to say it just for others reading that may not know... Never mark a queen until she has started laying well... paint or tags can greatly reduce chances of getting mated by inhibiting flight, lessening attraction of drones, and raising attraction of predators.

I was never pressing on the abdomen (and never will LOL) I was using the thorax much like some folks hold them in there hands. TAIS uses a cage to press them down on the frame...any different than pressing them down?
    The paint is barely on the base of the wings (like where they attach to the thorax) and on the base of the legs (also where they attach to the thorax). Very minimal...I will get a picture of what i am talking about. Was just a mishap...am i ok?
    Like us on Facebook

I'm sure you will. You have more skill than the average Joe, so I'm not concerned about your method of marking, just feel it needed to be said so that others didn't start trying it. worst case scenario with the Picasso queen is that the may supercede her early.. keep an eye on them.. sometimes it never bothers them, other times it drives them crazy. Lol.

I've had good luck with marking tubes. You don't even need to touch the queen with your hands - just place the tube over her and wait until she walks up the side. If you get workers with her you can either leave them there during marking or its pretty easy to get rid of them.I found it is really important to release the plunger pressure immediately after you mark her. If you don't she will squirm around and smear the paint. A quick small dot (check marker on your hand/glove BEFORE applying paint to the queen) then release plunger. Leave her in the tube for a couple of minutes so paint dries.

I don't mark my queens anymore, but I do get people that buy nucs asking for marked queens. Marking tube is the best way I know to mark a queen without hurting her. I know guys that are pretty good about holding the queen for marking but there is always the chance of injuring the queen, even for experienced handlers. Tubes are cheap and if you are not doing a couple of hundred a day then it is the way I would recommend you go.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Hey man big mistake . Go to beeworks .com they sell a push in cage I have found it to be perfect for queen marking in the hive. You press in just enough to hold her still put your dot on her blow on her for about 2min and raise cage for 7 to 10 min til completely dry and release her. I killed queens by accident trying to pick them up. Or practice picking up drones and marking them before doing queens. I found the press in cage to be the best and with less stress.

That also would press on the abdomen...and risk hurting her. I just pick them up or make a similar cage with my fingers....
    Trust me we mark enough to know what we are doing LOL
    mike
    Last edited by Barry; 04-28-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: except when it comes to quoting!
    Like us on Facebook

I had one move on me the other day and got a little bit on the wings.Well,they got rid of her.

This is how I mark mine. It's very easy. Grab a few drones to practice on if you haven't already. I try not to grab the front legs,you don't want to damage the front legs since that is what they use to size up a cell. I also don't put my queen back in a cage. I just give a couple of blows of air on the paint mark and set her back on the frame.

Robo has a good video that shows this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Sb6J_uY3E

You can also see some pics here on our facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/3-Bee-...45924868781948