Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fore end on my rifle too tight. Can I plane it?

The fore end on my .30-06 (Rem 700 SPS) seems to have gradually clamped down over the last three years to where now, at the very end, it grips the barrel very tightly. I'm considering just shaving it back a bit to get the stock off the barrel... any reason not to do this? The SPS is a synthetic stock BTW.

In a great world I'd have the cash to take it in and get it serviced and maybe accurized, but not this year. It occasionally seems to throw a wild round, and yes that's in addition to called yanks. Even off the bipod, maybe 1 in 20 is barely on the paper (normally, prone on the bipod, it's 1 MOA groups on bad days). When new the barrel had a rough spot that took a ton of breaking in... the spot collected "gobs, just gobs of copper" was how a smith who scoped the bore for me characterized it about a year in. I re-broke in the barrel exhaustively and it seemed to have improved.

I'd love to get a new barrel, but hoo that's expensive. Anyway should I shave off a bit inside the tip of the forearm to free up the barrel?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Fore end on my rifle too tight. Can I plane it?

send it back in for warranty.

I do not see a reason why not. Go with savage 110 next time. A friend and I changed out the barrel with no gunsmith skills...much better gun IMHO.

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Ben, I have a Remington 700 BDL in 270 caliper, the walnut stock twisted so much on the fore end that I abandoned it for a synthetic, it was so bad that all the whittling I could do did not seem eliminate the contact with the barrel. I bedded the reciever into the synthetic stock and made sure the barrel was free floating buy sanding the forearm. Result: 1" groups at 100 yards. I tell you all this to say, yes whittle and sand your forearm, your stock is not worth a thin dime if it is touching the barrel. Also I need to ask you if your touching the barrel with your hands while shooting as this can actually warp your barrel and when you fire a shot it will be off the mark, then the barrel will warm up from the firing and the stresses will again even out again leaving you to wander what just happened. This will be noticeably worse the greater the temperature differential between your hands and the barrel. All the best ....Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    I do not see a reason why not. Go with savage 110 next time. A friend and I changed out the barrel with no gunsmith skills...much better gun IMHO.

Mike
    I 2nd that only I prefer the Savage Model 12 Series. Very accurate rifle as well as easy to work on. In my case the Savage Model 12 VLP-DBM 22-250 with the 9 inch twist 26 inch barrel.

Ideally, you want to remove just enough stock material so that the stock does not touch the barrel even when hot. You should always be able to wrap the barrel in a dollar bill or piece of paper and slide it all the way down the barrel to the action assembly where the barrel threads in without any contact or drag. This will ensure a fully free floating barrel that will not be impacted or hindered by contact with the stock.
    Last edited by Live Oak; 04-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.

LO I mean the variations thereof...we have a 243 and 300 win mag savage 110s...the best guns ever...

mike
    Like us on Facebook

I have several 700s and a savage 110, but prefer the 700s. I also agree with WWW on not being a problem to work on releasing the tension by lightly removing some of the forearm. It does not take much space to make a big difference.

You can also make some shims from brass (or pop cans) and shim it up a bit back at the action to bring it up off the forestock.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I would plane it down but are you sure that the barrel isn't causing the problem? I know you broke it back in but maybe a different bullet or even a different lot of the same bullet "catches" on that spot once in a while. It might be worth having the factory take a look first before you start compensating for one thing when the real issue is something else.

If we were bees, we'd blame it all on the queen!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Ben, go slow do a little at a time, when you can slide a dollar bill snugley between the stock and forearm your good. Use sand paper nor a plane,You could bed the actionbut it sounds like it shoots good with out this. Bedding synthetic stocks it harder to get the bedding material to stay put.

David.

Thanks all! Just in case I get a wild hair, what's a reasonable price to re-barrel a rifle (with stock replacement, I'm considering a bull barrel) for a gunsmith?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

acraglas gel from brownells is the best product for this kind of work. You will get improved accuracy by just bedding the recoil lug and the barrel under the chamber and floating the rest of the barrel. I go way beyond this and bed everything from the front of the chamber back including the trigger guard. I grind the barrel chanel deeper that needed and put 2 layers of tape down the bottom of the barrel and then bed the entier thing. When the tape is removed yo will be able to slide a dollar bill down the whole thing to right in front of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    Thanks all! Just in case I get a wild hair, what's a reasonable price to re-barrel a rifle (with stock replacement, I'm considering a bull barrel) for a gunsmith?
    rebarreling will cost a minimum of 250.00 and as for the heavy barrel it really doesn't change the price. Gunsmiths buy the barrels unturned and unchambered. For your gun they would just get a 308 barrel and chamber it for 3006. They would also turn it to whatever diameter you want. This brings another good point. If you wanted to change caliber this is the time. You could go with 308, 243, 6mm, 270, 2506and 257Roberts just to name a few. As for your stock you will spend a minimum of 100.00 but you get what you pay for. Thes cheap ones that they claim are drop in are so sloppy they still should be glass bedded. They are also heavy

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    rebarreling will cost a minimum of 250.00 and as for the heavy barrel it really doesn't change the price. Gunsmiths buy the barrels unturned and unchambered. For your gun they would just get a 308 barrel and chamber it for 3006. They would also turn it to whatever diameter you want. This brings another good point. If you wanted to change caliber this is the time. You could go with 308, 243, 6mm, 270, 2506and 257Roberts just to name a few. As for your stock you will spend a minimum of 100.00 but you get what you pay for. Thes cheap ones that they claim are drop in are so sloppy they still should be glass bedded. They are also heavy
    Much more expensive these days. Also, smiths can buy short chambered barrels...doubt that they turn the barrel as it would need blueing at that point. Doing what you are talking about is much, much more $$$$$$$$$$. Also, to change calibers you would need different bolt heads for different cartridge families. Be sure to give out totally true information.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Much more expensive these days. Also, smiths can buy short chambered barrels...doubt that they turn the barrel as it would need blueing at that point. Doing what you are talking about is much, much more $$$$$$$$$$. Also, to change calibers you would need different bolt heads for different cartridge families. Be sure to give out totally true information.

mike
    The cartriges for the calibers I mentioned are all based on the 3006 case and all the same length or shorter. No bolt face work or magazine work would be required. I didn't mention all but just some of the better know ones. There are more like the 35whelen, the 6.5-06, the 338-06, the 280 and the 7mm08. I know I'm missing some. You are correct that a short chambered, tapered and blued barrels are available but the blueing which is not a big expense most likely wont match the action. I have rebarreled quite a few times over the years and after the work is done I then have the action w/ bolt and barrel parkerized. This military finish is very durable and rust resistant. It also goes really well with a composite stock to make a very weather resistant rifle.
    Last edited by danno; 04-07-2011 at 01:28 PM.

243, 7mm-08, 260, etc are based on the 308 case! 25-06 270, 280, etc are based on the 30-06 case!!! HUGE DIFFERENCE! LOOK IT UP! 308 and 3006 based cartridges are NOT THE SAME Diameter!

mike
    Like us on Facebook

243, 7mm-08, 260, etc are based on the 308 case! 25-06 270, 280, etc are based on the 30-06 case!!! HUGE DIFFERENCE! LOOK IT UP! 308 and 3006 based cartridges are NOT THE SAME Diameter!

mike
    They are both 30 caliber and then the barrel can be re-chambered.
    "...Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones..." Proverbs 16:24 KJV

mike
    base dia of 30-06 .471
    rim dia of 30-06 .473

base dia of 308 .4709
    rim dia of 308 .4728

"Huge difference" Sorry I dont like to squable on her but they are not

OK all I'm considering is a new barrel (not rechambering). Love the .30-06 cartridge for my uses. I'm confused now... can't the barrel just be swapped out and the existing chamber left unmolested?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Very few barrel makers fully chamber a new barrel the leave it just a little short so the chamber cand be set to your exact preference.Benchrest. hunting tactial ect. 30-06 is a popular cal. you should have no trouble finding someone to finish it. David.