Hybrid View

Default Fore end on my rifle too tight. Can I plane it?

The fore end on my .30-06 (Rem 700 SPS) seems to have gradually clamped down over the last three years to where now, at the very end, it grips the barrel very tightly. I'm considering just shaving it back a bit to get the stock off the barrel... any reason not to do this? The SPS is a synthetic stock BTW.

In a great world I'd have the cash to take it in and get it serviced and maybe accurized, but not this year. It occasionally seems to throw a wild round, and yes that's in addition to called yanks. Even off the bipod, maybe 1 in 20 is barely on the paper (normally, prone on the bipod, it's 1 MOA groups on bad days). When new the barrel had a rough spot that took a ton of breaking in... the spot collected "gobs, just gobs of copper" was how a smith who scoped the bore for me characterized it about a year in. I re-broke in the barrel exhaustively and it seemed to have improved.

I'd love to get a new barrel, but hoo that's expensive. Anyway should I shave off a bit inside the tip of the forearm to free up the barrel?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Fore end on my rifle too tight. Can I plane it?

send it back in for warranty.

I do not see a reason why not. Go with savage 110 next time. A friend and I changed out the barrel with no gunsmith skills...much better gun IMHO.

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    I do not see a reason why not. Go with savage 110 next time. A friend and I changed out the barrel with no gunsmith skills...much better gun IMHO.

Mike
    I 2nd that only I prefer the Savage Model 12 Series. Very accurate rifle as well as easy to work on. In my case the Savage Model 12 VLP-DBM 22-250 with the 9 inch twist 26 inch barrel.

Ideally, you want to remove just enough stock material so that the stock does not touch the barrel even when hot. You should always be able to wrap the barrel in a dollar bill or piece of paper and slide it all the way down the barrel to the action assembly where the barrel threads in without any contact or drag. This will ensure a fully free floating barrel that will not be impacted or hindered by contact with the stock.
    Last edited by Live Oak; 04-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.

LO I mean the variations thereof...we have a 243 and 300 win mag savage 110s...the best guns ever...

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

I have several 700s and a savage 110, but prefer the 700s. I also agree with WWW on not being a problem to work on releasing the tension by lightly removing some of the forearm. It does not take much space to make a big difference.

Ben, I have a Remington 700 BDL in 270 caliper, the walnut stock twisted so much on the fore end that I abandoned it for a synthetic, it was so bad that all the whittling I could do did not seem eliminate the contact with the barrel. I bedded the reciever into the synthetic stock and made sure the barrel was free floating buy sanding the forearm. Result: 1" groups at 100 yards. I tell you all this to say, yes whittle and sand your forearm, your stock is not worth a thin dime if it is touching the barrel. Also I need to ask you if your touching the barrel with your hands while shooting as this can actually warp your barrel and when you fire a shot it will be off the mark, then the barrel will warm up from the firing and the stresses will again even out again leaving you to wander what just happened. This will be noticeably worse the greater the temperature differential between your hands and the barrel. All the best ....Bill