Default Frames provided with a nuc

The nuc provider I just emailed said that they can provide Rightcell plastic foundation on wood frame deeps. I ordered and received all PF100 waxed standard plastic frames from MannLake. First hives so all equipment is new.

Is there a problem with mixing these two types of frames, is the only difference the frame? Will there be a difference in cell size?

I'd really like to order from them because they have yards less then an hour away.

Thanks for your help.

Al

Default Re: Frames provided with a nuc

It won't hurt. Most operations have a mix of wood and plastic frames.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Thanks for the prompt reply Alpha6

Placing my order now

Al

The Ritecell is larger than the PF-100's. I called Mann Lake and asked that question a couple weeks ago. The PF-100's are 4.9. I was told that the Ritecell is 5.1, but I swear I measure 54 mm across ten cells. I'm not sure if all this matters anyway. I will be doing the same thing when mine arrive. I will be mixing what comes in the nucs with a couple PF-100's and the rest foundationless.

I am starting 3 packages and 1 nuc on pf100's. The packages will be fine and the nuc is on 4.9 already. So no issue for me.

I am interested in both of you guys finding when your bees arrive and how they draw both size cells
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Never having done this before I would not put to much faith in my observations. I guess I won't have any trouble eventually having all 10 wood frames in the same brood chamber just going with the PF100s in the rest of the hive bodies and supers.

Once I get these two nucs established I hope to just buy packages or make my own splits.

Put them in your boxes. Later this year or next rotate them out if you want them all to be wood or plastic. Your call. but, mixing is ok. Just a preference thing Bee's don't care they just want to build and fill.

All the rite cell I've measured was 5.4mm:

http://bushfarms.com/images/RiteCell54Measurment.jpg
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF