Default Family jewels... ...and a (?) about using rough cut lumber

I was talking beekeeping with my mother-in-law this weekend (our hives will be on their property). I was telling her how I am behind schedule and needed to get building hive bodies as the bees will arrive in a couple of weeks. My father-in-law happened to overhear me mention that I needed to go out and buy some lumber. To which he replied... "follow me for a minute"

I did, we walked out to one of the outbuildings (old farm house, w/barn, coop, grainery, etc.) where he showed me a 4' x 4' x ~14' long stack of rough cut, air-dried boards. It was all the decent sized trees he has felled on the property over the years, all cut at a local mill, then neatly stacked with spacers so they dried straight!

"You're welcome to it". he stated. "As much or as little as you need."

"WOW! That's a lot of wood" is about all I could say.

There is ~150bf of pine (most cut 1"x10"s) along with LOTS of other higher-end species: LOADS of cherry, along with oak and maple as well!

Now my question(s): For deep hive bodies (langs) using pine, should I plane one side, leaving the interior rough, (it's a good mill surface), or should I plane both?

Do I need to bother planeing them down at all?

I know I wouldn't need to with a KTBH, but I am going to get at least one full season with Langs before building one of these.

Sincerely,
    Paul Turley

Default Re: Family jewels... ...and a (?) about using rough cut lumber

I would plane both sides, gives glue better surface to stick to. Definatly at least one side, plane to 3/4 thickness so you will be uniform with commercially availabe equipment.

We made a few of our first boxes out of 1" rough lumber and just sanded it. Those boxes are heavy and don't fit well with other boxes.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain