Default New York Beek Question - Exterminators

SERIOUS QUESTION for anyone that knows New York ag law. Can an exterminator kill honeybees or not? The ones that call me for swarm removal say NO. But, I need a source and can't find one by simply Googling.

I was in a house yesterday trying to scope an extraction -- the colony is in the ceiling between a first and second floor bedroom. I got the call because the homeowners called an exterminator and he told them to call me.

They had previously paid another guy $375/visit for three visits and he located the colony and sprayed through three holes drilled in the ceiling using Pyrocide 100 oil and Clutter Dust (?) -- this was what he put on the receipt along with "Yellow Jackets." He wasn't confused! He knew they were honeybees because he discussed the situation with the homeowners. (Fortunately, that was last summer and the bees wintered over well and were bringing in a ton of pollen yesterday. They seem as strong as my strongest hives.)

Still, the homeowners want their money back from this guy if they can find a legal reference that says he did a "no no."

Thanks!

Mike

Default Re: New York Beek Question - Exterminators

Great question. I have the same problem (?) in Missouri where the honeybee is the state insect. Time and time again I am told exterminators can't kill them, but I searched and cannot find an answer.

Make no mistake, I'm glad we have this idea/folk knowledge that honeybees cannot be legally killed, and almost every extermintor that knows me is more than willing to work to insure I look the situation over for a possible rescue.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

The same here in California. The person I spoke to a couple of years ago at the State Dept of Ag says it is against the law to kill them, but then also said no one enforces it. I have also found some pest companies that say "the know it's illegal, but a jobs a job and they don't know who to call." They promptly get my card. I did have one pest company call me about a colony that was in a bird house. The lady did not want the bird house anyomore so he was going to cut it down, wanted to know if I wanted it with the bees. I took it, but was curious, how much did he charge her for the removal service?

I recently had an exterminator out for termite inspection. He noticed my hive equipment and told me he was not allowed to kill honeybees unless they were an eminent threat to someone's safety. He said if they were in the walls of someone's home, they considered it an eminent threat. But if they are in a tree outside the home, not so. That was his company's interpretation.