Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is using paint a waste of time?

I have seen a painted hive in my cellar damp and moldy when all the unpainted ones were in much better condition."--C.C. Miller
    That is a good reason for not using old contaminated paint with no mold and algae inhibitors. Because of the moisture that is inside the hive I would not use oil based paints. They are costly and hard to get now anyway.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I skipped thru the post here so if I missed something I'm sorry. One of the main problems I have with paint is the stacked boxes sticking together. Not from propolis but the paint. I'm hoping the stain won't stick together so bad. I, like USC am going to Cabots as long as I can get it at oops prices.
    For anyone that thinks that unpainted wood will last nearly as long as painted, you're only fooling yourself. Good paint works for much more than looks. Personally, I am throwing enough money into beekkeping, without not painting/staining my work and investment. Too each his own!!
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I got an ooops can of Behr fence, deck, and siding stain. I remember painting a fence with this stuff like 20 years ago and it is still standing. Works great, soaks in and no sticking. 10-20 year warrenty

I would not have a problem paing full price it works so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
    am going to Cabots as long as I can get it at oops prices.
    For ... my work and investment. Too each his own!!

Habitat for Humanity seems to have a lot of stains for sell pretty cheap. But I do like that 5.00 oops paints and stains from Lowes and Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Foleybees View Post
    Habitat for Humanity seems to have a lot of stains for sell pretty cheap.
    That is where I got all my paint. Plus it helps the people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    At one time White Wash was quite popularly used to "paint" siding on houses. Did anyone ever use it on beehives?
    The only thing I ever painted with white wash was the first 3 to 4 feet of my pecan tree and apple trees when I lived in SC.
    De Colores,
    Ken

You brought up an interesting subject. I never understood why people paint the base of their trees white. Does it help keep bugs/varments away. What is the deal with that?

Repells certain borers that will emerge from the ground to climb up the tree to bore into the nuts.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    You brought up an interesting subject. I never understood why people paint the base of their trees white. Does it help keep bugs/varments away. What is the deal with that?
    and it does keep certain bugs off that damage the trees themselves.

I paint all of mine because I buy oops paints (cheap), can drink beer (budlight), and listen to the astros get beat in the 9th inning(brutal) while I do it. If i was in a bind for time or a commercial beek I probably would'nt take the time because it probably does'nt save you that much in woodware. I just enjoy doing it!!

My dad has been commercial bees for 39 years and has said one thing he would do differently if starting over is to paraffin dip all the boxes instead of paint.
    Done correctly, paraffin dipping should preserve the wood for 20+ years. I recently assembled 650 new boxes and all the components were dipped for an hour in 250 F paraffin and copper naph. solution before assembly. Will let you know how they're holding up in another decade or two. Randy Oliver only dips for a few minutes and has good results.
    Paint looks nice for a while. But I'm not willing to scrape and repaint everything when it starts chipping.
    There's a very good informational pamphlet put out by the Australian department of something that details all the best practices and reasons for paraffin dipping. I can find the link if someone is interested.
    $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    ... I never understood why people paint the base of their trees white... What is the deal with that?
    The love of my life said I was a Red Neck because I wanted to paint the bottom of our trees white. She said she would leave if I painted them. She still sends me a birthday present every year.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I live here in Northern New Mexico and we get lots of sun. So painting not just protects the wood but reflects some of the sun which helps keep the hive cooler. A darker hive baking in the hot sun when its 90 degrees turns the hive into a oven.

Yes it does get warm here Lou but surely not like in Arizona. I like to arrange the hives in my yards towards a little afternoon shade. I also use shade covers on the top covers of some. I have never had any problems with hives overheating. Instead of paint, I have been using Eco Wood Treatment and Preservative on all my new equipment. One time application and it looks and works great. Reasonable priced, 100% non-toxic to everyhting.

Didn't think this thread would last very long. But it has been very interesting. Thanks to all who have posted and will post.

As I stated initially, I am now going to Cabots blue label for almost 100% of my woodware. BUT.................if I had the money and equipment I would parrifin bathe all of the woodware I could (some can't be like pollen traps) and never worry about it again.
    De Colores,
    Ken