Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is using paint a waste of time?

I still have plenty of opps paint and primer I have gotten away from using it. Oh, I still use it when I need to sand and finish an old piece of woodware or a nuc that I need ASAP. In these cases I just put on 3 coats of primer.

I have found at Cabot's (Blue label) beats paint hands down. I use the "Natural" stain. No matter what wood the boxes are made from, they all look good. Cedar and cypress really stand out. I will apply 3 to 4 coats of Cabot's.

A year later you cannot tell that the boxes have been in the elements but the painted boxes have already started to show some wear. It doesn't matter whether I used oil based or latex. Neither holds up that well compared to the Cabot's coated boxes.

It costs a lot more for a gallon of Cabots. $30 compared to $5 for a gallon of oops paint (not counting primer). But I "painted" 6 bottom boards with landing boards (Kelly's), 6 brood boxes, 6 ICs, 6 OCs, and 12 medium supers. (All 8-frame equipment.) I still have some left.

An added benefit is that Cabot's will be soaked up on the end pieces until they are saturated and will not split or want to rot.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Default Re: Is using paint a waste of time?

You're talking about deck stain right?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lundy View Post
    Michael Bush doesn't paint his anymore:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stoppainting
    Sorry, but I call shenanigans on that. Paint isn't all that expensive and can make the wood last longer then if not painted. This is just a known fact. Even Michael Bush admitted that they might not last as long. Having it last one year longer will save you money and time of switching your frames to a new body.

So why not spend $10-$20 on a gallon of paint that will paint a few hives? I used a quart and painted two bodies, top, and bottom board easily with two coats. You will spend more money on new equipment then you will on paint. It doesn't take that long to paint a hive either. If it does, then you are doing it wrong.

Ima noo-bee within the bee world and thinking outloud, but I can see as a hobbyist, part of the 'fun" would be building boxes, painting etc.

On the other hand, perhaps from a business standpoint for the large operations, upkeep, maintenance, and re-painting hundreds of boxes at a time could cause a drain on labor when compared to the price of a new box and an expense write off. Do larger operations spend much time re-painting and repairing boxes?

I'm not crazy about painting, but have done it with mistint paint. I've watched unpainted boxes warp and split and wished I hadn't been so lazy.

Last year I tried Perme-8 diluted with diesel, Lowes version of a water-based Cop-Nap and several penetrating oil deck stains. I'd rather dip and soak than paint, but I also want my boxes to last. This year I picked up some boiled linseed oil and turpentine to soak some boxes in. I'm hoping for a paint-alternative.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I have had great luck with Cabots 30 year Fence stain. The cost is a high, so I make friends with local paint stores and buy the "woops" cans for about $5.
    Backyard beekeeping and honey bees.
    www.BlueLineApiary.com

Quote Originally Posted by WiredForStereo View Post
    You're talking about deck stain right?
    Yes, Cabot's Deck and Fence Stain. It is oil based. It comes in a red, green and blue labels. I use the blue version.

I also puchased a 5 gallon bucket of oops green label Cabot's. It had a slight tint to it. But when I put it on the boxes, I really didn't like they way it went on. Not sure if it absorbed into the wood as much as the blue label. For my own

Anyway, I will use it. Heck I got 5 gallons for less than a 1 gallon sells for. I am using it on my privacy fence and it looks pretty good. Will finish when I can borrow, rent or purchase a paint sprayer.
    De Colores,
    Ken

I am open to all affordable alternatives...I have stacks outside that i keep putting off painting..... seriously looking at dipping.

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post

A year later you cannot tell that the boxes have been in the elements but the painted boxes have already started to show some wear. It doesn't matter whether I used oil based or latex. Neither holds up that well compared to the Cabot's coated boxes.
    How many years of experience do you have with this product? I have boxes that are ten years old and still look extremely good. Those that are 1 year old look brand new. I use a good quality latex exterior grade paint. Seems worth it to me.

I am open to all affordable alternatives...I have stacks outside that i keep putting off painting..... seriously looking at dipping.
    Sorry if I express my engineering background but what is the reluctance to painting? If you are a commercial beek then get yourself a gun and line up 100 hives worth and spray down the line so no paint is wasted. Turn the boxes 90 degrees and do it again. Three turns and you are all done. How is dipping any easier? It sure as heck isn'[t any cheaper on the material cost side. It takes a heck of a lot less time to paint than it does to build the equipment.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Run a pole between two saw horses, "hang" the supers, and paint away. Allows you to get all the edges without waiting for them to dry.
    Backyard beekeeping and honey bees.
    www.BlueLineApiary.com

Painting is something I do when I don't have anything else to do. Or anything better to do. Whether it is necassary or not is debatable. I have plenty of boxes that have been in use for ages that have never been painted or stained.

If you do wish to paint or stain, set 5 or 6 on a bottom board and paint all four sides. Spray or brush.

In the spring, while in SC, I will sometimes go get a bucket of paint and a brush and paint two sides of my hives while on their 4 way pallets, just to spruce them up.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by eqnox View Post
    Run a pole between two saw horses, "hang" the supers, and paint away. Allows you to get all the edges without waiting for them to dry.
    I was thinking commercial. Stack them up ten high and fifty ft long and you can do a thousand boxes in no time.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v.../RoofPaint.jpg

I can spray 85 gallons a day with my wife helping and then she is whipped.
    My butt is dragging too on a hot tin roof.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I just place a couple of 2 x 4's on the ground and stack the hive bodies 4-6 high, take the electric sprayer and have at it. The paint job takes about 2 minutes per 5 hives. Heck, it takes longer to clean up the sprayer. I just use premium latex exterior semigloss from Lowes.

"Following the teachings of G. M. Doolittle, in whose ideas I have great confidence, I think there is better chance for the moisture to dry out of unpainted hives than out of painted ones. I have seen a painted hive in my cellar damp and moldy when all the unpainted ones were in much better condition."--C.C. Miller

"The hives need no painting, although there is no harm in doing it if their owner wants to please his own eye. The bees find their way to their own hives more easily if the hives do not all look alike. I rarely paint mine, and as a result no two are quite alike. Most have the appearance of many years of use and many seasons of exposure to the elements." --Richard Taylor, The Joys of Beekeeping

"I suppose they would last longer if painted, but hardly enough longer to pay for the paint." --C.C. Miller, Fifty Years Among the Bees
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I was under the impression the 'Latex' based paints tend to absorb moisture; while oil based paints don't[or as much]....which is why I chose to go with an oil based surface....

I know soap and water are a much nicer cleanup...love it if a raw surface would hold up to Wind, Rain, and UV......

At one time White Wash was quite popularly used to "paint" siding on houses. Did anyone ever use it on beehives?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    "Following the teachings of G. M. Doolittle, in whose ideas I have great confidence, I think there is better chance for the moisture to dry out of unpainted hives than out of painted ones. I have seen a painted hive in my cellar damp and moldy when all the unpainted ones were in much better condition."--C.C. Miller

"The hives need no painting, although there is no harm in doing it if their owner wants to please his own eye. --Richard Taylor, The Joys of Beekeeping
    Nothing wrong with pleasing my own eye. Like to see/have nice and neat apiary with multi coloured boxes (one of the joys of beekeeping) and it matches with multi coloured flowers in the field.
    As for C.C. Miller's comment about painted hives, he died in 1920, long before good breathable non toxic latex exterior paints were available.
    ==Northumberland County Beekeeper, Trent Hills, Ontario==

Would anyone even consider building a wood sided house and not painting?? Here in Fl we have carpenter bees, carpenter ants and powder post beetles and termites. They all love unpainted/stained wood. Galvanized nails rust. Wet, dry wet dry wet dry wood will warp and split. I’m just saying. Good luck.
    Im really not that serious