Thread: Inchworms?

Default Inchworms?

I went and checked my hive that I installed 2 weeks ago and I found a grey looking inch worm on the outside of the deep box. Thought it was strange since it had to crawl up there to get there. It can't drop down from any trees or anthing to get there because the trees near the hive have no overhanging branches. Then I found another inside the hive on the frames that the bees haven't drawn out yet. Is this a problem or should I just not worry about it.

Default Re: Inchworms?

This might be a wax moth larva perhaps?
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Wax moth larvae sounds correct. I have seen them this year in eastern nc. I am thinking they are from eggs that were lain last year and lay dormant all winter. I really do not know that WM can do that but it's my first guess. I am assuming these are on unfrozen combs.

I found a red earth worm under my hive lid last night. This is about 4 feet off the ground. It has been raining like crazy but still I can't imagine why a worm would want to climb up the hive.

So will the wax moth larvae get killed by the bees or should I do something about this? I got the foundation from Brushy Mountain. Could it have come from them? Its only been out two weeks.

Are all the frames inside the hive .. fresh foundation? If so my dormant egg theory is kapoot. If you do have contaminated comb you would need to freeze it for 48 hours. But it doesn't sound like it is wax moth...

Their all brand spankin new. Bought them from brushy mountain along with my hive, second deep and other stuff to start beekeeping. I didn't see any damage to the foundation or drawn out comb when I looked yesterday. If it is a wax moth larvae should I do anything about it or will the bees take care of it?

If there is no comb I don't see how it can be WM. I'd bet your bees can handle it. Next time you do an inspection just keep your eyes open for more.