Angry Gent from Montana (Bee25)

I am a ''hobbyist'' beekeeper. However, I've not had a hive since the last century. Anyhoo, this year I'm going to give it another go. The first time I had fair success until I ran afoul of an uncooperative crop duster pilot who was dusting in higher than legal wind. He was spraying Feradan (?) on an alfalfa field. I move from that location, so I'm gonna try again.

Question: I have heard both pro and con regarding plastic EZ frames. Unfortunatley, that's what I bought this year, so I'm pretty much stuck with them. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Does anyone have advice for me regarding plastic frames for use in Montana?

Default Re: Gent from Montana (Bee25)

The frames should be ok if they are wax coated. If not the bees will take a bit longer to draw them out. Try misting them with 1:1 sugar water and keep lots of feed on them as it takes lots for them to produce the wax to pull out the frames.

Good luck.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

I have a pile of cases of them stacked up waiting to see how things go. Way back in the 80's of the last century I had thousands of them and they worked fine after they were drawn out. Getting good comb drawn is always the challenge though. Keep us posted on how you fair and I will do the same.

I have some ez frames in use. The bees will pull em out if you spray them with 1-1 . The ones I started with came wax coated but it works better if you can brush/roll some melted wax on them. The bees seem to work them better with a thicker coating on them. Jim Good luck and welcome back.
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

I have hives mixed with both wood and solid plastic frames. They work them all fine. I also have entire drawn supers with nothing but solid plastic frames. I agree with before post. If you can lightly roll them with another layer of wax, it does help them to draw them faster.

Much obliged for your great advice! The plasic frames I have are coated with wax, But it didn't occure to me to put feed on them. Good plan.

Thanks for the great information! My heart soars like a hawk. (Little Big Man)

Thumbs Up Re: Gent from Montana (Bee25)

Quote Originally Posted by Bsweet View Post
    I have some ez frames in use. The bees will pull em out if you spray them with 1-1 . The ones I started with came wax coated but it works better if you can brush/roll some melted wax on them. The bees seem to work them better with a thicker coating on them. Jim Good luck and welcome back.
    Thank you much for the advice. I shall follow your instructions.

Thanks for the great advice. Please to excuse me if I ain't figured out how to respond correctly. I thought I could send one letter to all of you great folks, but when I submit reply the next thing I see is a message sayin' I ain't logged in!$%$#??!! So, I'm guessing I have to resond to folks one at a time? I'll figure it out eventually, I hope. I was born in the last century (1951) and am not too highly technology oriented, iffen ya git me.

John Wayne quote was great! I have heard it before. Here's a quote that just might apply to my efforts: ''No plan survives first conatct with the enemy.''

I use nothing but one piece plastic frames and all my frames are pretty much drawn out perfectly. Like everyone said, spray with sugar water. I sprayed every couple weeks until mine were drawn out. I personally believe honey bee heathy mixed in with the sugar water helps a lot. It probably maskes some of the new plastic smell. One thing and it is very important, make sure you squeeze those frames tight together in the center of the box. Even if this leaves a little extra room on the ends. If not, the bees have a higher tendency to build bridge comb and stuff between the frames.