Thread: Rumored...????

Default Rumored...????

When you are a large beekeeper, people from everywhere stop by to visit. You here stories....dust and dangers in the wind....Rumors of problems to come.....So is the LARGE hive beetle now a resident in Florida???? If so, what are the implications to the beekeeping industry. What control measures, physical or chemical will we be able to use to keep this oversized monster in check. From what little I can find out about this critter, it literally will chew up and eat a colony to death. It does not take but just a few to do so, like a couple of dozen beetles. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water.......CHOMP!!! TK

Default Re: Rumored...????

I guess the industry is about due for the next big thing. One thing that we can count on is that there will always be another problem to contend with just around the corner!

The beetle is a member of the Scarab Family and has the latin name Hoplostoma Fulgineus. I hope that Robert Russell, who is the resident PHD in Entomolgy on the forum will read this and be able to tell us more about this potential pest. Where it is from? How does it live? How did it get here if it is here? What controls work against it?? And if it is here how far will it spread?? TK

Is this a joke? I have seen large beetles around my hives.....
    Pics/article to back this up?
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

I have had a few customers from S. Florida tell me that they have LHB in their operations. I had them send pics and asked them to gather as much detailed info as possible on the way that they effect the colonies... I am not quite back home yet, but as soon as I get in, I will upload the pics and info from my office computer.