Default When to add super in VA

I have two hives that have made it through winter here in VA. The bees have been very active lately even with temps in the 50's. Today is supposed to be mid 60's and tomorrow mid 80's then cooling back down some. I guess my question is should I place a empty super (mediums is all I have) on each hive.?
    There's not a lot in bloom yet but the tulip poplars around here have buds that should open before long. Sorry but I'm new at this.
    Thanks

Default Re: When to add super in VA

I'm a little South of you but I plan on adding my supers next weekend. The folks in the beekeepers club here say the poplars bloom around the 23rd of April and before last week we were running 10 days ahead of last year. I would say you could add them anytime.

Hey, thanks. I was just out back mowing and these hives are just boiling with activity. My concerns are swarming and then again the temps dropping off in the next week or two. I didn't want to give them the extra room and then the temps drop and them not being able to keep the space warm. What a conundrum? (SP?) We do have dandelions in bloom here now and the girls are all over them. I was watching them and their legs are loaded with orange/yellow blobs!
    I only have two hives and feel real lucky for both of them to make it through winter. I don't want to ruin it now.
    Thanks for the reply

I've got two mediums ready to add with 3 frames each of comb/honey for the middle and the rest empty plasticell. That's all I have since I'm new. I do have some empty frames that I have left over from last year with paint sticks so they can draw out what they want. Not sure which way to go but looking for suggestions from you all.
    PS. The rest of the hive are frames with paint sticks that they drew out on their own. Maybe I should stick with this?????

[FONT="Arial Black"]OK, thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the information. NOT. Thanks anyway beesource.

I checked on mine this afternoon. Just getting back to the house. I decided to go ahead and add supers so did that today. I only have two hives too. The extra space won't hurt them in staying warm as they only warm the cluster anyway and not the whole hive.

I started last year with one hive and I supered the first weekend in April. The last Monday in April they swarmed and I lost the swarm and later lost that hive in the fall. This year I've been adding drawn comb from the lost hive and rotating boxes to keep them from swarming. My supers only have foundation so I'm not adding much room. Just hoping they will draw it out and biding my time until I get queens in mid-April.

I don't know anything about the paint stick method. I use foundation. I have noticed that when they draw it out themselves, or rebuild old comb, they make a lot of drone comb and I don't like to see that. I feel like its a waste of good brood rearing space.

We have redbuds in full bloom down here along with the dandelions.

Also, I always use wax so don't have experience with Plasticell. I have heard though that the bees won't draw out Plasticell when the rest of the hive is wax.

I would suggest putting the super on now too if dandelion is blooming. Keep the drawn frames in the center of the box with the undrawn to the sides. It may be a little while before they start drawing out any new cells.
    To everything there is a season....